Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

58 Packard Hawk Electric Trunk Release ???
Just popping in
Just popping in

kevindale
See User information
Can Anyone explain how the Electric trunk release is supposed to work on this 58 packard Hawk ?

I have a Mechanism attatched to the backside of the Release Latch, with a Single Black Wire comming off of it, Can anyone Explain where this is supposed to go to ?

Posted on: 2023/1/18 9:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 58 Packard Hawk Electric Trunk Release ???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did not see any mention or any wiring diagrams for a trunk lock release mechanism in the 58 Stude supplement but does the mechanism look anything like the item in this photo? If so they may have used the same solenoid Packard installed on some 4 door models in 56 to lock all the doors at once.

If that is the case the solenoid is one action only. When it gets power the plunger pulls a link rod attached to the latch mechanism. In Packard use it locked the doors but Stude may have used it to pull the trunk latch release mechanism just as turning the key lock would do.

There is probably a push button located inside the car that activates a relay. In Packards case grounded pushbuttons were under the dash edge at each end. When either was pushed it supplied a ground to another horn type relay located in the engine compt and when the relay closed it supplied 12 volts to the single wire on the solenoid. The solenoid ground was provided by having the assembly bolted to the body sheetmetal.

Attach file:

jpg  solenoid.jpg (19.96 KB)
209_63c80cf81717c.jpg 368X442 px

jpg  solenoid1.jpg (9.62 KB)
209_63c80d0727c4c.jpg 226X264 px

Posted on: 2023/1/18 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kevindale
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Did not see any mention or any wiring diagrams for a trunk lock release mechanism in the 58 Stude supplement but does the mechanism look anything like the item in this photo? If so they may have used the same solenoid Packard installed on some 4 door models in 56 to lock all the doors at once.

If that is the case the solenoid is one action only. When it gets power the plunger pulls a link rod attached to the latch mechanism. In Packard use it locked the doors but Stude may have used it to pull the trunk latch release mechanism just as turning the key lock would do.

There is probably a push button located inside the car that activates a relay. In Packards case grounded pushbuttons were under the dash edge at each end. When either was pushed it supplied a ground to another horn type relay located in the engine compt and when the relay closed it supplied 12 volts to the single wire on the solenoid. The solenoid ground was provided by having the assembly bolted to the body sheetmetal.

Thanks for the response, I'll snap a Pic of it Today, it appears to be TIME PERIOD correct, but I do believe this is an add on of some sort, that needs to be powered from a Switch.

I was just wondering if this might've been some kinda James Bond type deal they put out, but I don't think so

Posted on: 2023/1/19 11:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A popular thing to do when I was much younger - when your Hawk was new - was to shave off the trunk handle and operate the latch with a starter solenoid through a push button switch. You may be correct about yours being an add-on.

Posted on: 2023/1/19 13:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kevindale
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:
A popular thing to do when I was much younger - when your Hawk was new - was to shave off the trunk handle and operate the latch with a starter solenoid through a push button switch. You may be correct about yours being an add-on.

I did find the Secret Button for this ordeal, and it was right " In The Glove Box ", and it WORKS !!! What is so strange is this All looks time period Correct, I will snap some photos

A little off Topic, but I thought some might find this Interesting, this all started by a Simple Google Search, looking at Engine Colors for this car, and I stumbled across a Photo, KNOWING it was the car, because of certain features, such as the Wrong Oil Fill Spout,an in line Flush Tee and the Red Radiator Cap with the Green Tip, this is a customer car from Arizona, purchased at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale in 2018, the original owner was Metropolitan Opera Singer, John Charles Thomas, who gifted to his Wife ETC. But here's the History from Barrett Jackson. 🔽🔽

VIN 58LS1058
Exterior Color JEWEL BEIGE
Interior Color TAN
Cylinders 8
Engine Size 289CI
Transmission AUTOMATIC
Description
Lot #530 - One of 588 Hawks made in 1958, this example was originally purchased by world famous Metropolitan Opera singer John Charles Thomas as a gift to his wife Dorothy Koehler Thomas and is fully documented including passenger car production order form, California registration, and the original California license plate MGM 277. It is powered by a 289ci 8-cylinder engine with factory McCulloch supercharger and a 3-speed automatic transmission. This fully loaded Hawk is finished in Jewel Beige with a tan interior. Dorothy kept this Packard well after John’s passing and ultimately gifted it to her personal secretary and friend Catherine Volbrecht in 1970. Catherine personally drove this car on special occasions to limit the miles. She then sold it to Mr. Cronce with 47,000 miles. The car later found its way to world renowned classic car collector Leo Gephart who last sold it to the Fred Jaeger collection. The car currently has 55,955 original miles since new (title reads exempt).

Posted on: 2023/1/20 4:40
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kevindale
See User information
A little off Topic, but here is some Engine Bay Before & After Photos. We put on the McCullock Centrifigal Supercharger, put the Correct Radiator in, and Repaired the Fan Shroud. Replaced ALL coolant hoses & Clamps, Trans Hoses, Trans Rebuilt, all Electrical Switches cleaned, all wiring and connectors,light bulbs replaced, Horns replaced, windshield washer foot pump, wiper motor repaired, washer fluid bottle added & Rear Dual Antennas " Not Pictured " ETC.

That Arizona Heat REALLY took a toll on this Old Girl

Attach file:

png  Screenshot_20230113-071722~2.png (713.14 KB)
226004_63ca621feb4b7.png 850X527 px

jpg  0112231728~3.jpg (328.20 KB)
226004_63ca6276d9bd8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/1/20 4:44
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kevindale
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:

It's hard to say by that picture, this car does not have that function, but they may have did just as you suggested, here is a Pic of it from Behind the Trunk Lock, and a Side View of it as well.

The plunger for the trunk release is in the Glove Box on the left, and the plunger/Glove Box Light is on the right. I had to put a Mini bulb in the backside of the Glove Box Light Plunger/ Light, but both works Perfectly

Attach file:

jpg  0125231715~2.jpg (350.10 KB)
226004_63d1fb6040a59.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  0125231714a~2.jpg (238.43 KB)
226004_63d1fba113756.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  0125231513_HDR~2.jpg (156.46 KB)
226004_63d1fbf476de3.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/1/25 23:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved