Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1956 374 Freeze Plugs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I've had very good luck using the rubber freeze plugs which are tightened by a nut in the middle. Any parts store carries them and they expand out to cover a number of sizes.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 22:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Russell James
See User information
Hi All

I only ever heard of them as 'Welsh' plugs in Aust. I have no idea why (any sugestions?)

I saw a real stubborn one removed from a 50 Packard block in two pieces.
First using a small cold chisel (similar idea to the screwdriver hole Eric suggested above). In this case, it was used to cut right around the outside of the vertical face - remove that piece.
Next a hacksaw blade was used to cut a slot in the remaining ring (being VERY careful not to score the sealing surface on the block). Once cut, then tapping the outside edge of the plug near the newly cut slot to break the seal.

It was tight! And needed lots of patience and care.

Cheers

Posted on: 2009/4/28 22:45
Russ (the prodigal son)
56 400 (sold 2022)
39 1702 7 pass touring (long term project)
38 1602 7 pass limousine (needs work)

Learnt to drive on a 50 in 1969
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Do the V8 core holes have a ridge the plug seats against? If not, the way I have seen them remove when there is no seating ridge is to tap one side with a drift to swivel the plug in the hole, and then grab the edge (the opposite side) that sticks out with a pair of pliers and pull the plug out.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 23:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Go to a GM dealer (while they are still in business!), Cadillac preferred, and get a package of their cooling system horse pills ($6). Drop a couple of them in the radiator, per the instructions on the card they come on. The problem will go away. These are the miracle cure of the ages, saved Cadillac from scrapping the HT-4100 engine in its infancy. I have learned to put one pill in each cooling galley during the rebuild process as insurance, I learned that from an old time guy who does a lot of engines. The substance in the pills (Ginger root) will not clog nor coat your radiator or cooling passenges, and goes away after a short while in your cooling system. It works by releasing the crystals in the ginger root, they float around unti they find a leak. As the fluid (carring the Ginger root) leaks out, the crystals start attaching themselves to the area around the hole, progressively making the hole smaller and smaller until the hole is completely filled. I used these on a 2.3 Ford engine I rebult for an old Rustang I used to own, they saved my bacon on the manifold (I didn't get the gasket surfaces perfectly clean) and I drove that car every day for years after that rebuild, winter,spring, summer or fall.
Pop a couple of those in her and call back in the morning.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 0:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Russ, I forgot about the "Welsh" plugs, my father called them "Welch" plugs, but I don't think he was an Aussie!

Posted on: 2009/4/29 2:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BigKev's explanation in post #13 above is the way i always did it and i think the manual explains it that way too.

Also look for the ridge or recess in the bore of the block as he indicates. IIRC there is a ridge but i'll have to go look again at my spare block.

For a sealer i use a little bruch on permatex just for safety but it's probabaly not necessary.

Welch plug is what i always heard among the manufatureing crowd but the term rarely used in field service.

Thanks Jack for the tip on the plug diameter. I was not aware of that. Haven't had to replace one in a Packard yet.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 6:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
For a sealer i use a little bruch on permatex just for safety but it's probabaly not necessary.

My dad had some black, runny sealant in an old small, brush-top, can in his tool box that never seems to fully harden.

I'm guessing that this is the modern package:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

However, this product:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/Permatex_Indian_Head_Gasket_Shellac_Compound.htm

...has a similar look and feel.

Is this the kind of stuff you're talking about, Keith?

Posted on: 2009/4/29 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The first link.
Permatex Aviation Form a gasket No. 3.
THis is the same that is used on Chevrolet head bolts. I use it on ALL water cooled head bolts.

I also use the second link above. Goes by 2wo different names. Indian head and i can't remeber the other name rite now. Identicle bottles and ingredients.

In critical situations such as head bolts, welch plugs etc i always use the No.3 specifically. Less critical applications i use the Indian head.

RARELY if ever use it on NEW gaskets tho. Only grease on new gaskets.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 9:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Checked my spare Packard V8 block. There is no evidence of a recess or any kind of ridge cast into the left rear most welch plug bore.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 9:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The internal ridge or ledge is normally associated with the disc-type core plug and not the cup-type, V8s use the cup-type. Not certain of Packard's last use of the disc-type, probably the seniors thru 1939, the Super Eight and Twelve.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 11:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved