Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

SteveP516, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Refinishing the Dash
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DShaff
See User information
Now that I have the dash remove I need to decide how refinish the dash. My Car is not intended to be a show car but a driver i can be proud of. My options are to have it wood grained, paint it or consider hydrographic. In my case cost is a factor and is in conflict with having it look good and being original. My first choice is to have it wood grained and painting doesn't seem to be the right thing.
I am interested in knowing of a source that can do the wood graining reasonably and what alternatives I should consider. I am also interested in know about the potential of doing hydrographic finishes.

Posted on: 2023/2/20 10:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Refinishing the Dash
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If cost is a concern, buy a kit from Grain it Technologies and do it yourself. It’s not that hard to get a good result. Your prime and paint the metal with a base color, like the specific tan for your year and model. They can tell you. You add the grain with water soluble ink. If you don’t like what you did, just wipe off with a wet rag and try again. It’s very forgiving. When you have the grain pattern the way you want it, let it dry a day. They spray with clear urethane. Sand after it dries a couple days and spray clear again. My journey with grading starts at Post #184 of the Duchess Project Blog.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=180&topic_id=5878&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
I kind of got wrapped around the axle on getting the right pattern , so you might jump to post #233 to see the result.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=230&topic_id=5878&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Posted on: 2023/2/20 11:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
Grain It Technologies are really good. Most knowledgeable and helpful. It's not difficult to use their kits, they come with full and specific instructions.

Posted on: 2023/2/20 19:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I didn't trust my abilities, so I farmed it out to someone that has done a few dashes before.

Posted on: 2023/2/20 20:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved