Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home Made Arm Rests-1937 120C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have a '37 120C so I am not sure what other models could use this arm rest pattern.
My car never had them but when I removed the old door panels I could see there was holes in the door to receive them.
The material I used was simple pine. 2x4 for the base and 3/4" pine I had on hand for the cap core.
The cap is then covered with 1/4" felt so it will have some give when upholstered.
The base will also be covered, but no padding on it.
I thought I would share this so if you need arm rests you can create your own.
The 10 degree side angle on the base was achieved by first rough cutting the part on the bandsaw, then using a bench disc sander set at the 10 degrees to remove the material from the bottom up.
I recommend drill and counterboring all the holes before adding the 10 degree side angle.
I used a 1" spade bit to first cut the inside radii on the caps as my blade on the bandsaw is too wide to make that tight of turn.
I adhered the felt to the cap with 3M 77 spray adhesive.
My upholsterer will make a casing and staple it to the wooden parts and make a piping strip to cover the joint between the base and cap.
The cap is held on with 4 counterbored 1" #8 pan head phillips screws, same hold the unit to the door.
The PDF drawings are all 1:1 so if you print them on a letter sized sheet at 100% you can use them as patterns.
There is no left or right to the assemblies, the same part fits both doors.
Now I will have somewhere to rest my arm when driving and a handhold to close the door from inside if the window is up!
Take care,
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Dr Door Armrest.JPG (183.45 KB)
225215_640a5f2900bb8.jpg 1920X1328 px

jpg  Arm Rest Bottom View.JPG (259.17 KB)
225215_640a5f5e28ca3.jpg 1920X1236 px
pdf Arm Rest Base.PDF Size: 24.45 KB; Hits: 44
pdf Arm Rest Cap.PDF Size: 17.90 KB; Hits: 28

Posted on: 2023/3/9 17:36
 Top  Print 
Like (2)

Re: Home Made Arm Rests-1937 120C
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The arm rests on my 115C Convertible Coupe were shaped differently; although, I think yours are more practical.

Posted on: 2023/3/10 12:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved