Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Six differential Flange gaskets
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I am rebuilding my rear end on my 1939 Six and I am wondering why it has drain holes in the axle retaining flanges, the new gasket set I ordered from M M do not line up at all with these drain back holes. These seem to just drain the axle bearing area so why are they needed?

Posted on: 2023/3/17 20:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Six differential Flange gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Have not opened up a Packard, but I have seen that on other brands and it is common. Its purpose is to allow gear fluid that comes into contact at the bearing to run down and return to the sump down the axle casings. Remember at speed the gears and axles in the rear end are causing a great deal of turbulence coating the entire inside surface with fluid. If the scuppers were not there undo pressure would overwhelm the axel seals and cause leaks out through the outer wheel bearing area. That said, as I opened with, I have no personal experience with your rear end. It is likely no hole is needed in the actual gasket and the scupper is just there to drain any fluid in the area. Someone with actual knowledge and experience can guide you on the gasket issue.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/3/17 21:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Six differential Flange gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On your car there are inner seals to keep the gear oil away from the wheel bearings which are grease packed. Further out there is a seal to keep the grease from migrating out onto the brakes. The drain holes are to keep excess grease from being forced out. As the cars age, it was also quite common for the inner seal to leak gear oil outward, particularly if the car was parked on a slope. The drains kept it off the linings.

So in normal servicing I am always careful to replace the inner seal and to clean and pack the bearing. I hardly give a thought to the outer seal unless it is garbage. Don't neglect to set your axle end play while doing this job and you won't need to think about your rear axle for a very long time.

Posted on: 2023/3/18 7:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved