Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 51 200 fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Love your user name!!!

Seems to me that, once upon a time, we drilled out a surplus fuel tank cap and installed an air tank fill valve so we could pressurize the tank a bit to coax fuel to the pump. And as I recall, it worked.

Another trick that some folks do it to get a low pressure electric pump and install that out back near the tank with a toggle switch installed under the dash. They'll turn that on and run it for a few seconds to prime the mechanical pump so as not to have to saw on the old starter to draw up the gasoline. I'm still not sure how a sound fuel system will drop the prime like these do, but they do.

Good luck on getting your issue sorted.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 7:27
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm convinced fuel being sucked back into the tank is caused by a valve in the fuel pump not seating/sealing correctly. Grit or varnish in the pump could cause that.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 7:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I not sure what pump he got or condition of his vehicle, that aside there has been a number of manufacturer issues with mechanicals since manufacturing was switched to MX and consolidation of the supply. I went through 4 on the Cad B4 I converted to a noisy electric. The check valves are at fault.
These may benefit from "priming" before you try to suck air until the gas flows. Not exactly designed to pump air. Low suction head device. Fill the outlet line and pump with gas to create a better seal and have some head to pump against.
I've had better success rebuilding originals. Unfortunately, I threw the Cad's out. But rebuild worked well on the P with its dual function pump.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 8:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved