Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

Don B, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

When I hit the pedal it cuts the power on my 1949 22 series
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
We are talking about a 1949 super 8 touring sedan I am learning as I go boys so keep in mind you are talking to a newbie.

I've had my packard for almost a year and I drive it a couple miles 4/7 days a week. I've run through my fair share of small problems including ones that seemed earth stopping but were very simple to fix. But I'm kind of freaking out a little.

I was teaching the wife how to drive her and stalled so many times that I had to start my car with a second battery. Let assume I hooked up wrong and fried something. I charged the original battery and then I went to start it a few days later and it would hum untill I pushed the pedal and it would lose all power. I swapped a new starter solenoid in hoping that was the problem. Still nothing. But when I hook up a different battery I press the pedal and I get a whirring sound.

ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2023/4/5 16:34
 Top  Print   

Re: When I hit the pedal it cuts the power on my 1949 22 series
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If it stalls when you give it gas, then I strongly suspect a carb issue.

My 54 did something similar on the way home from a car show. Issue was a torn accel pump in the carb.

If you very slowly give it gas does it stall?

Posted on: 2023/4/5 16:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
I can't even start it. When I turn the key and press the pedal to start it shorts out and loses all power with a fully charged newer battery and when I used an old half charged battery it just made a whirring sound.

Posted on: 2023/4/5 17:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can try to bench test the starter to see if functional.

Posted on: 2023/4/5 17:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
A few ideas here:

First, on the acceleration issue, I strongly suspect that you have a bad accelerator pump. I'm assuming you have not yet rebuilt the carburetor? The accelerator pump will probably be attached to the throttle lever somehow. Example on a carburetor for the 55-56 cars below, though yours will be much different. You can get rebuild kits almost anywhere, also check the Parts Cross-Reference on the sidebar.

For the no-start, try turning the engine over a fraction by hand first then try again. It's pretty unlikely but if you have a tooth gone from the flywheel then it won't engage. If not that, then I would assume it must be a solenoid issue. Did you get a 6V, positive ground compatible solenoid?

You said it shorts out when you try to start it? Did you double-check the electrical connections? Negative wire to starter, positive terminal to ground strap.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2023/4/5 17:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
So, you press down on the gas pedal to activate the starter like normal, but nothing happens except you "lose all power"--uh, for good, or when you let off the gas does the power come back?

I had something like that on my 53 when the starter drive was bad. I'd press the gas to start sometimes and other than hearing the solenoid make its very little click nothing would happen. What fooled me at first was that the power draw was so high since the starter was actually jammed that the idiot lights would go out. That made me think the battery had suddenly failed but in actual fact the bad teeth on the starter drive were jamming in the flywheel.

For a quick test loosen the starter bolts a few turns and give it a good shake. tighten up and retry. Or, bench test it.

Posted on: 2023/4/5 20:34
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Man I was hoping it was that simple lol.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 13:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
You can try to bench test the starter to see if functional.

Thank you, sometimes I forget the basics and just pace and cuss.

I bench tested the starter and it engages and spins right up.

Once I put it back on the car and tried to start it it didn't whir any more and now something is making a static kind of sound.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 13:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Is there any chance I put this on wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  20230406_111454.jpg (157.42 KB)
225619_642f0c7153da4.jpg 865X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/4/6 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
After reading your post twice to make sure I understood your problem. And looking at many of the possibilities given. And you have tested the starter. Have you tested the battery?. What I mean by testing, is to take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it. Many times in my life I have charged a battery fully only to have it act like a dead battery when starting. It will run lights, etc... but when a big load is put on it, it is wiped out instantly. It just can hold a full load anymore. Just a thought.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/4/6 21:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved