Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

BigKev, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: When I hit the pedal it cuts the power on my 1949 22 series
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you sure your motor isn't seized?

Posted on: 2023/4/6 21:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Regarding the acceleration problem. Take off the breather. With the engine not running, look down the carb and actuate the throttle linkage. You should see two streams of gas. If you see one or none, take a flat blade screwdriver and carefully remove the screw holding the dual jet in place. You might put paper towels in the throats to catch the device if it gets away from you. Make sure the passages in the dual jet are clean. The little red tube on the aerosol carb cleaner fits into the jet input nicely. I had a blockage in this once.

Posted on: 2023/4/8 16:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Man I got her driving yesterday and thought it was fixed. I felt unstoppable. Only for it to happen again today. I found a couple things that are wired poorly and got to poking around some more and found this flimsy connection

Attach file:

jpg  20230409_192024.jpg (239.45 KB)
225619_6433855cc871f.jpg 1265X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/4/9 22:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
This

Attach file:

jpg  20230409_192005.jpg (141.86 KB)
225619_643385ce79125.jpg 865X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/4/9 22:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

Dave O wrote:
After reading your post twice to make sure I understood your problem. And looking at many of the possibilities given. And you have tested the starter. Have you tested the battery?. What I mean by testing, is to take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it. Many times in my life I have charged a battery fully only to have it act like a dead battery when starting. It will run lights, etc... but when a big load is put on it, it is wiped out instantly. It just can hold a full load anymore. Just a thought.

Dave O

A friend mentioned that this may be the problem too. I will make sure I test my battery because it's always acted funny but you can never tell if it's me, the car or the battery. Thank you.

Posted on: 2023/4/9 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
According to the wiring schematic I have. The suspect wire you indicate is the one that sends power to the Car Starter Switch just below the carburetor.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/4/11 6:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Sorry; I forgot to mention. On main menu this site, go into the Literature Archive. Then select wiring Diagrams. There is a full wiring diagram for your car listed there. You can follow the wires and see which ones are part of the starting function of you car.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/4/11 7:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I suspect a short in the carb starter. Those things are "flaky" in my opinion.
Get a small length of 10 GA wire and crimp U terminals on each end, and "jumper" the carb starter with it. One side goes on one terminal and the other on the opposite side to bypass it. [path of least resistance] Just back off the screw a tad to get it on and tighten. {Where the two wires go to the carb} Alternately, you can disconnect and connect the two wires together. Just isolate it with tape and tie back. If it starts then you have isolated the issue to that part and if not, then you know to look at some others. Already tested the starter, so down to the selenoid or the power..
If its been going to ground, it's likely the battery is "boiling" and loosing its power.
I like to start with a fresh battery and fresh wires, when troubleshooting DC electrical. Saves guess work.

Posted on: 2023/4/11 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
you can connect a wire direct from a pushbutton 50-amp switch under the dash to the solenoid. You can disconnect the carb starter and just use that. Or you can keep the carb starter if it proves to be good, and have both. Sometimes it's useful to have the pushbutton switch even when the carb starter switch is working.

Posted on: 2023/4/11 9:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
I suspect a short in the carb starter. Those things are "flaky" in my opinion.
Get a small length of 10 GA wire and crimp U terminals on each end, and "jumper" the carb starter with it. One side goes on one terminal and the other on the opposite side to bypass it. [path of least resistance] Just back off the screw a tad to get it on and tighten. {Where the two wires go to the carb} Alternately, you can disconnect and connect the two wires together. Just isolate it with tape and tie back. If it starts then you have isolated the issue to that part and if not, then you know to look at some others. Already tested the starter, so down to the selenoid or the power..
If its been going to ground, it's likely the battery is "boiling" and loosing its power.
I like to start with a fresh battery and fresh wires, when troubleshooting DC electrical. Saves guess work.

Thank you for this. I was wondering if I could just disconnect both ends and rewire it my self useing some zip ties to keep it attached to the harness that the original runs through. But I don't know electricity well and the old timer across the street has been busy. Lol

You said 10 gauge but when I googled it I saw a guy saying 8 gauge. When I looked into the wiring diagram there is no mention of wire sizes. I found a packard wire chart for lights but I think you guys all just know that 10 gauge is best.

With you guys behind me this car will live forever.

Posted on: 2023/4/12 15:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved