Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 192

Dennis Miller, Ross, portlandon, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'40 110 Suspension bumper install advice?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Good evening, all--

The rebuild on my '40 110 suspension is getting closer to wrapping up, but I'm looking for advice on installing the suspension upper bumpers (below the shock arm).

The upper rubber molding (from Kanter) has a cone shaped flared end to lock into a hole in the frame support; the lower appears to have a slot for a sliding lock washer, not unlike the rear torque arm bushing bolt and washer.

Any advice for working that flared rubber into the frame without mangling it?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/4/16 21:30
 Top  Print   

Re: '40 110 Suspension bumper install advice?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Smear it with silicone grease or waterless hand cleaner, sit it over the hole and then jack up the frame of the car so that the falling shock arm pushes it into place.

Posted on: 2023/4/17 6:21
 Top  Print   

Re: '40 110 Suspension bumper install advice?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Nice. I'll give that a shot.

Posted on: 2023/4/18 23:34
 Top  Print   

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Finally had some more progress on the '40 today; installed the RF suspension finally, but the rubber bumpers are not yet installed.

Interesting process to install the suspension: Raised front frame with an engine hoist. Used longer than normal bolts on the lower, inner suspension support (under where the radiator would be) which supplied about 2" more freeplay in the spring support arm. Compressed the spring with two compressors near each other to compress the spring into a "C" shape. Placed jack under the spring support, installed spring in its' well. Installed torque arm back to the frame; then tightened the bolts on the spring support arm, then removed the spring compressors while supporting the lower arm with the jack. Still need to address the shocks...

Posted on: 2023/4/23 20:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved