Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shudder and Shake
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've been having issues with shudder and shake in a '37 120. Most of the steering parts are new or as new, but the torque arm rubber bushings are failing. That's probably a contributing factor. I've tried rotating the tires, which show no visible evidence of being out of round. They are Lester polyester cord tires. Today, I noticed that the wheel weights interfere with the trim rings seating fully and evenly on the wheel rims. I doubted if they weighed enough to cause trouble, but I decided to try running without them. Removing them almost elimninated the shudder and shake. I think there used to be wheel weights with an extended clip for use on older cars with trim rings or full wheel covers like the Cadillac "sombrero" covers. Stick on weights might be another option.

Posted on: 2023/5/26 19:22
 Top  Print 

Re: Shudder and Shake
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I always specify to put weights only on the inside which usually can be done. That way, the outside for the trim ring or full wheel cover is left fully intact and accessible. I just did that a while back for my 1951 Henney-Packard and again a few weeks ago for the new DiamondBacks on my 1965 Cadillac which has no room for weights outside unless they are bonded to the rim rather than being clipped to the edge.

Posted on: 2023/5/26 20:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Shudder and Shake
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I use stick weight on the inside as well on my 54. Cleaner look, no interference with hub caps or trim rings.

Posted on: 2023/5/26 21:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved