Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

packardsix1939, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Water Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I have a leaking '37 120 water pump. The bushings seem to be OK, and tightening the packing helped for a few hundred miles, but the packing nut is now bottomed and the leak is back. The fan seems to be very straight and balanced. Fan belt is good and not too tight.

Does anyone make a 120 water pump with "modern style" seals and bearings?

I have some (old) new packing, but I don't know what it's for. It appears to match the Packard shaft size. I don't know if it's a full set. I've got four split rings that look like little donuts.

It looks like I can take the pump and fan assembly off the car to work on it (or replace it) more easily than trying to pull the fan and pulley with the pump in the car.

Posted on: 2023/5/28 16:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Water Pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Terrell Machine in TX rebuilds them. Not aware of any modern seal replacement/rebuilds.

Posted on: 2023/5/29 13:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
The “modern” style pumps “exist”. IF you can find one. They are fairly rare, but they do pop up from time to time. I have one on my 37… had it recently rebuilt by the Dutchman…

But no… nobody is making a modern style actively….

Posted on: 2023/5/29 13:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Thanks for the information. That's bad news about the modern type non-availabliity, but good news about Terrel Machine. I'm about 80 miles from Terrel Machine, and will contact about getting a couple of sets of packing for my pump. The bushings are tight in mine and the shaft looks very good.

I'd much rather have a mechanical seal/ball bearing pump on the Packard. The old style pumps are prone to leak coolant out and air in, and they can also allow oil or grease to get into the cooling system.

Posted on: 2023/5/29 17:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

Cli55er wrote:
The “modern” style pumps “exist”. IF you can find one. They are fairly rare, but they do pop up from time to time. I have one on my 37… had it recently rebuilt by the Dutchman…

But no… nobody is making a modern style actively….

Here's a "modern" style pump that I was lucky enough to find. Kept in having issues with the original myself.

Attach file:

jpg  20211020_105741.jpg (124.50 KB)
200605_6476b2fadc244.jpg 1440X1099 px

Posted on: 2023/5/30 21:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved