Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

JWL, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1958 Packard ( Carb Change)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rollerball
See User information
Hello All!

I would like to change out my original carburetor on my 58' Packard to an electric choke. The motor is a 289 . Can I use a 4 barrel carburetor with an adapter ?

Any recommendations ?

Thanks !

Posted on: 2023/6/19 20:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 1958 Packard ( Carb Change)
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I have a 1981 Dodge pickup with a 318 engine that originally had a nightmare emissions 2 bbl carburetor. Someone added an adapter plate and installed an Edelbrock 600 CFM 4 bbl carburetor with an electric choke. It works pretty well.

A 500 CFM would would work better on the stock 318.

Of course, the original breather and carburetor linkage no longer fit, and I doubt if the performance potential of the 4 bbl is fully realized. It does start, run, and idle well, and the choke works well.

I believe the power supply for the choke is connected to the accessory circuit.

I think that Edelrock offers a 2 bbl carburetor that would probably be a better choice to replace a 2bbl.

Rebuilding the original equipment is the best choice, in my opinion.

Posted on: 2023/6/20 6:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Your 58 came with a 4 barrel Carter which can be rebuilt as basic carb was used on many 50s cars. The choke spring and related parts can be found athttps://www.carburetion.com/sitesearch.aspx?category=afbchoke&Title=Choke%20Chokes%20for%20Carter%20AFB%20Carburetors. A good rebuild and new choke bimetalic spring should restore choke to oem condition. I'm not a fan of electric chokes when you can get the original style Just my thoughts on this matter

Posted on: 2023/6/20 8:42
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For various reasons, several have used Edelbrock carbs with an adapter on the Packard 352 engine and been happy with the result. A few old posts on the forum here have their experiences. Since the 58 Packard was built by Studebaker in South Bend and is identical to a well equipped Studebaker President in everything but name and a few pieces of trim, you might also ask your question at the Studebaker forum. The 289 was Studebaker's large engine and was used thru 64 so far more of those engines are in that world. Undoubtedly some have been modified with the conversion you are asking about. Since it is a much smaller engine it would probably need a completely different carb setup than those done for the Packard engines. I would bet there are some Stude guys who could come up with decent suggestions.

Posted on: 2023/6/20 9:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
As Howard suggested there are a fair number of guys here that either have 58's or Studes but if you want to really dive into this then I would post on a Stude forum as you will find tons more familiar with that engine.

Posted on: 2023/6/20 15:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved