Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Electrical Issues, intermittent power
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you clean the contacts in the sockets also check the condition of the fiber support piece. Spring pressure at the edges and the bulb pushing against the "buttons" in the center tend to deform the fiber. Any moisture that might have been able to wet the fiber makes the problem worse -- sometimes to the point the fiber bends so much a reliable contact is hard to maintain. If worse happens, Rhode Island Wiring and others have new fiber supports, springs, and even contact buttons that will fit most of the sockets.

For any socket size where modern is not available a replacement for a rusted spring can be fabricated out of music wire or maybe something close found at a hardware store. A piece of thin phenolic sheet from McMaster-Carr and the old support along with some time with a saw, drill, and rasp will make it as good as new.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 11:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Electrical Issues, intermittent power
Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
TXgoat, The light fixtures were polished, painted and new lenses and gaskets were installed. I dont know how I missed the corrosion in the socket. Maybe I didnt think it would be a problem... and yes the battery is always disconnected on cars that I am working on/stored inside/not currently driving.

Howard, the springs do seem to still have good enough pressure and the fiber board back there still looks good!

Posted on: 2023/7/6 11:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved