Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 189

DM37, TxGoat, Todd W. White, Joe Krzan, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Jack pad, control arm and torque arm
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I need to remove the front jack pads that are attached to lower control arm so I can swap them for the swaybar brackets.

Since those bolts also attach the torque arm to the lower control arm, is there an sprung danger to removing those bolts? I want sure if that connection isn't under any spring tension that I need to worry about.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230815_112117_Messages.jpg (121.13 KB)
1_64dba62585c9b.jpg 1062X1290 px

Posted on: 2023/8/15 11:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Jack pad, control arm and torque arm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I had this assembly out when I rebuilt my chassis. I jacked the lower arm up while the chassis was suspended on jack stands. Removing the nut/bushing from the upper shock fork and then lowering the jack relieved the spring pressure and was able to pick the spring out.
However what you want to do can be done without removing the spring as the jack pad is in front and therefore outside the load area of the spring. The trailing arm that is the forward attachment point at the lower A arm and the nut/jack pad are simply there to stop any fore/aft movement of the linkage so there is no load there either unlike a torsion bar like in later year Mopars etc. so it is a simple fastener removal.
As you know, this is a large nut and likely been in situ since 1937 at the factory so an impact wrench and lots of penetrating fluid will be needed to loosen it. I recommend a cold remoavl, any heat in the area would affect the steel and not in a good way. Front end components are of very specific steel and usually tempered to a specific degree so any heat will change that and now you are using it as a link anchor for an anti-sway bar on a rather heavy front end so you want it as sturdy as possible.
Good luck!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/8/15 13:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Jack pad, control arm and torque arm
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, Bob. That is exactly what I needed to know.

As far as ancient fastener removal. I prefer to wire brush any exposed threads to remove junk and rust first. Then, an overnight soak in penetrator. I let an impact wrench do the rest of the work.

Posted on: 2023/8/15 14:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved