Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

CarFreak, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 TL suspension inoperative
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
I removed the J-6065 holding tools today after reattaching the load arms/links to the lower control arms and reinstalled the drums and tires. After checking all the solenoid wiring and fuses I switched the TL system back to the on position expecting the car to adjust back to level.

Nothing happened. The TL system was working fine when I started this project a year and a half ago and I did not touch any of the TL wiring. I double checked the fuses and searched for any loose connections but came up empty. The upper control arms are pretty much mashed against the frame bumper stop. (Picture attached.)

I am looking for trouble shooting suggestions as gremlins seem to have taken up residence in my suspension.

Thanks,
Robert.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.59 KB)
251_469172d68e6c7.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2007/7/8 18:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 TL suspension inoperative
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!!!! THEN remove the dust band from the TL motor and see if u can turn the armature several turns by using your finger. Sometimes the brushes or commutator will oxidize if allowed to set for long periods of time. Twirling the armature a few times by hand will probably cut thru enuf oxidation enuf to get it running again.

Posted on: 2007/7/8 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If when you say "nothing happened" you mean you did not even hear solenoids click, then I would wonder if the brake switch decided to quit while the car sat. Also, since it is on the upper cushion, how much weight is off the front. Is it possible the TL has driven as far as possible trying to compensate for light front and has hit the limit.

Posted on: 2007/7/8 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Following up on HH56's question, is the engine out of the car?

Posted on: 2007/7/8 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Packard V8 - I will give that a try and report back. Thanks!

HH56 - No sounds whatsoever. Did not hear the solenoids click as I am accustomed to hearing. I did swap the brake switch thinking along those lines but no change. Would the brake fluid level make any difference? I have not bled the lines. I did push the back end of the car down as well and nothing.

Mr. Pushbutton - The engine is in the car just no fenders, bumpers or hood. I had that similar thought and added about 350 lbs. to the front end (me and my oldest son) and no change.

At my next opportunity I will break out the volt meter.

Thanks guys!
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/7/9 6:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Since the fenders are not mounted, how is everything grounded? Did you try to run a ground wire to the small terminal on either of the solenoids just to verify it will actuate? Just a click to verify - don't let it run.

Posted on: 2007/7/9 7:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Randy good question. I have all the electrical mounted on a long piece of steel mounted off the firewall where you would normally attach the handbrake mechanism. I will try your suggestion and run a ground wire to see if either solenoid will actuate.

Thanks,
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/7/9 7:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
running that ground wire won't accomplish anything--the control box down on the frame sends a ground to the solenoids when it calls for a change in riding height (= engages the T/L motor). The solenoids would work just hanging on their own wiring in mid-air if everything was OK.
Take a ground wire and touch each control terminal on the solenoids, briefly--and see if there is any action. If not check the power at the buss bar that feeds both solenoids. That much is easy to check, and easy to diagnose and repair.
If you perform this check and you get T/L motor action, it's time to look at the control box.

Do the above test and we'll get into the control box later.

Posted on: 2007/7/9 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Robert -

A voltmeter (digital or otherwise) is nice, but a simple 12V test light may be all you need.

Though you say the fuse looked good, please make sure you have voltage feed at the buss bar for the solenoids and both terminals of the dash-mounted cut-off switch (in the ON position), which controls power feed to the compensator control box.

Then you can try grounding the terminal on either solenoid (with the orange or blue wire) and listen for clicks and/or motor response.

Let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2007/7/9 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
For this kind of diagnostic work I don't like using a digital voltmeter--I much prefer a test light or analogue volt meter. The digital meter flits around a lot before settling on the voltage it indicates. The analogue meter makes a nice sweep upward to the voltage. For simple power/no power tests the light is just fine.

Posted on: 2007/7/9 12:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved