Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Does this keep it original questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I brought the 54 Clipper into the local glass shop to replace the passenger and rear passenger windows that had some cracks. During discussions, it made sense to replace the weather stripping that the windows slide up/down in to a nice black felt like material. That's when I realized I'd have the passenger side looking one way and the drivers side looking the other so I said "what the heck" replace the windows on the drivers side (which are looking worn) and put in new window slide material as well. I hope I'm not deviating from original to the point where I would be having a negative impact on the overall car but this material is different than what the car came with. Then I noticed a nice sunroof/moonroof in the waiting area that I could have installed for $400. So I was wondering if I were to do this, would I be violating the originality rules? I'm not sure if the new weather stripping is technically original and I know the sunroof wouldn't be either. If I had an extra $1,500 or so, I'd like the Coker Wire Wheels but I'm not sure that they were on the original Clipper's back in the day. I welcome anyones thought's on where you draw th originality line. Yep, I know this has been discussed before, but maybe not in the context of something as small as window slides, a sunroof and Wire Rims. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Does this keep it original questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your car and you can do as you wish. Others will disagree and am sure they will say so. The original looking window channel is available but guess arrangements already made. Wires were on Caribbeans, & could be purchased for other cars. There was also a wire look hub cap available. Roof would not have been available back then (maybe from anyone??) I don't believe, so that would definitely put you in the modified class.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Identical window slide material may be had from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa. www.restorationspecialties.com
I personally would not put a moon roof in because I have one in my Honda and never use it. I'm not sure the wire wheels will fit your Clipper as the bolt pattern is different. Perhaps Coker sells wire wheels that fit your bolt pattern - check to make sure. Outside of that, it is your car. If you want to sell it in the future, the window slide matl won't hurt it and the original wheels can be reinstalled. About that hole in the roof - Hmmm?

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Then I noticed a nice sunroof/moonroof in the waiting area that I could have installed for $400. So I was wondering if I were to do this, would I be violating the originality rules?

Boy, I'm flabbergasted. To be concerned about the authenticity of window channel material, and yet ask if a moonroof would be nonauthentic - wow!. I don't know what "rules" you might have in mind, the only ones I think of are judging standards; if you're into that sort of think the moonroof is of course an absolute NO. Lot's of us deviate from original in some small manner, sometimes as a matter of necessity, sometimes practicality, but often it's done with something that can easily be reversed later to preserve authenticity if the next owner is more concerned about that. For example, radial tires can be replaced, Pertronic electronic ignition can be removed, even a TorqueFlite transmission can be replaced with an Ultramatic. But reversing a moonroof is a bit more of an issue.

But bottom line, it's your car and your money. But don't expect the major car clubs to look too kindly towards a moonroof, they are mostly all dedicated to preserving original features and restoring to original.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The new glass and felt would be considered an acceptable repair even though not original. It should not detract from the car. If you wanted a 100% original show car you would want to hunt down original windows but I don't think that is your intent.

The wire wheels might look good. That would be up to you. In any case, the original wheels can be put back on at any time - be sure you put them away and save them in case you sell the car or change your mind about the look.

Sun roofs on the other hand suck major donkey dong.If you put one on a 1954 Packard you will make yourself a laughing stock and a social pariah.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions and I agree. I plan to keep it as close to original as possible for as long as I can.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It is possible to reverse a sunroof installation but it requires cutting a roof off an identical donor car and welding it on. I have done this once. When we were done you could not tell the car had ever been butchered but it was not cheap.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Rusty is correct.

A non-Packard example: I have a 1978 Trans Am Firebird with a junk aftermarket T-top for which it is impossible to get parts. The only solution is to slice off the hardtop from a parts car, ditto on the T-Top and graft former to latter.

This kind of major surgery is non-trivial and expensive (since I would not trust my welding), Packard, Pontiac or otherwise.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though for different reasons, at least 2 1956 Caribbean hardtops have had roof replacements.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
During the 1970's sunroof craze, many companies were making them to fit any car from, t-tops, complete removable panels over the driver compartments, flip up tinted glass sunroofs, and even custom vans with half roof dark shaded tops. It seems people were putting them into everything. Alot of people put them into their older cars as well.

Every couple of months we get a call at the shop for someone looking for a complete Hardtop cut at the sail panels & roof pillars to repair one of these very popular custom jobs. Believe me,it is expensive to go back to original once you've chopped into the top. However, I have seen some very nice '60s cars with a sunroff very tastefully installed. I have also seen them with roofing caulk oozing out of the seams from people trying to seal them up. Either way, make sure you will be happy with it before hand. Cut out a template in dark paper and lay it on the top of your car. Walk around the car and see if you can see it from different angles. If done tastefully, it might be nice.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/humer_binder/humer_binder.htm

Attach file:

jpg  (36.37 KB)
633_4a08ff702f8e6.jpg 700X488 px

jpg  (29.64 KB)
633_4a08ff7ddc931.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2009/5/11 23:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved