Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

wjames, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

warm engine shutting off
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
While driving my 41 120, I have the problem of the engine shutting off after running for about 15 minutes. It will start again, but die in 30 seconds. I rebuilt the carb. but that didn't solve the problem. I noticed that the manifold heat control valve was stick in the up position. Could this be the problem? Any suggestions will be helpful

Posted on: 2023/9/11 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: warm engine shutting off
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It certainly does not help and leads to overheating and maybe burned valves in a worst case. Whether excess heat or something else is causing the engine problem is a guess.

When the engine heats up the thermostatic spring loses tension and gravity pulling on the weight lets the valve open. When open the weight should be in the down position so I would suggest freeing the valve and see what happens before starting to troubleshoot other causes. Coil failures due to excessive heat are a well known cause of intermittent engine shutdown problems.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 10:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
A lot of folks just pin the valve open, it is rarely needed the way these cars are driven today. That would be a good interim fix and help you to troubleshoot if you have any other problems.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
How is the ignition system? This sounds to me like classic coil failure.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 19:57
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved