Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

Ross, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

53 Cavalier Windshield Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
One of the next projects is the replacement of my windshield. My local glass company does work on vintage/classic cars, but their guy said he's never replaced one in a Packard. The windshield itself is not a problem, removing trim pieces is the time consuming part and one that may require some research. So I'm doing the research and may take it to them with the trim removed so all they have to do is replace the windshield and not have to worry about the fiddly parts.

Any advice, instructions, or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I did a search and didn't find any posts, but if there are some that I missed let me know.

Thank you!!!

Attach file:

jpg  53 Cavalier windshield.jpg (254.90 KB)
226104_6501f0d57c5c6.jpg 1903X1472 px

Posted on: 2023/9/13 12:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Cavalier Windshield Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The lower exterior trim pieces need to come off first.

To do that, remove the lower trim on the inside of the windshield above the dash. Then get under the dash and loosen the towers that hold the wiper arms. No need to fully remove them. Then remove the nuts that hold the exterior trim pieces. They have bolts that go through the rubber gasket. Also remove the screws that hold the exterior side pieces to the A-pillar.
The two exterior side pieces come out easily. The center piece needs to be slid out to one side or the other, then the retaining clips and bolts and can be removed.

The rest of the exterior trim on the Cavalier is different than my Panama, but it should be held in the same way. It is held in a channel in the rubber. It should just pull out without much issue. Don't bend it.

Don't forget to remove the rest of the interior trim around the windshield.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/9/13 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
The lower exterior trim pieces need to come off first.

To do that, remove the lower trim on the inside of the windshield above the dash. Then get under the dash and loosen the towers that hold the wiper arms. No need to fully remove them. Then remove the nuts that hold the exterior trim pieces. They have bolts that go through the rubber gasket. Also remove the screws that hold the exterior side pieces to the A-pillar.
The two exterior side pieces come out easily. The center piece needs to be slid out to one side or the other, then the retaining clips and bolts and can be removed.

The rest of the exterior trim on the Cavalier is different than my Panama, but it should be held in the same way. It is held in a channel in the rubber. It should just pull out without much issue. Don't bend it.

Don't forget to remove the rest of the interior trim around the windshield.

-Kevin

THANK YOU KEVIN!!!

Sounds pretty straight forward, and if I take my time it should be fine. Can't be more difficult that replacing valve guides!

Posted on: 2023/9/13 12:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You'll need to remove all the interior trim around the windshield first. This allows access to any nuts that hold the outside bottom trim and the top corner trim in place.

Hopefully your window gasket is not petrified in place. As that can make removing the side and top trim very difficult. If it is, you'll need to replace the gasket.

You'll need to loosed the wipertowers to get the bottom trim off. Also there is one center screw on the middle top on the outside.

There are probably pictures of all this on my 54 blog somewhere.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 13:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
You'll need to remove all the interior trim around the windshield first. This allows access to any nuts that hold the outside bottom trim and the top corner trim in place.

Hopefully your window gasket is not petrified in place. As that can make removing the side and top trim very difficult. If it is, you'll need to replace the gasket.

You'll need to loosed the wipertowers to get the bottom trim off. Also there is one center screw on the middle top on the outside.

There are probably pictures of all this on my 54 blog somewhere.

Thank you!! I need to spend a weekend sometime and go through your entire blog! It's soooo big that I have a hard time finding what I want.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 13:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my blog, windshield removal starts at around page 147. Reinstall around page 173.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 13:53
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
On my blog, windshield removal starts at around page 147. Reinstall around page 173.

Thank you!!

Posted on: 2023/9/13 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Also there is one center screw on the middle top on the outside.

This is what is different about the sedans and the hardtops. The upper trim on mine had no bolts going through the gasket. Only the lower trim.

If the bolts are hard to get out of the trim, some lube may help with that. Silicone spray or even penetrating fluid can help. It eats up the rubber a bit and will help with removal. It makes a huge mess.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/9/13 14:00
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
The 51-54 shop manual covers this including a neat trick with a piece of string. Copy it and give it to your windshield guy.

I used this technique on my Cavalier and the windshield went in with minimal swearing! Use plenty of lubricant, soapy water or something like it.

Posted on: 2023/9/15 14:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Use liquid dish soap, no water needed.

Posted on: 2023/9/15 16:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved