Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

differential carrier
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Im trying to remove the differential carrier from the pumpkin on my 1949 delux 4 door sedan. Ive disconnected the rear u joint and removed all the nuts around the differential.According to the manual, The carrier should lift right off,but it wont budge. Am I missing something?

Posted on: 2023/9/16 8:15
 Top  Print   

Re: differential carrier
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You have to remove both axle shafts first. Beyond that, the carrier may be stuck to the housing. Very careful prying and bumping with a rubber hammer or wood block may help loosen it. The carrier must come straight off the studs. If it is cocked, it will bind on the studs and may damage the threads. Some installations may use copper washers or soft steel washers under the nuts. If present, they may need be pried off to free the carrier. Replace with new washers.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If I recall those are Spicer differentials so you may find a period Spicer or Motors repair manual to help but TX has it right axles usually gotta go first to get the center section out. Otherwise, they wouldn't work very good.

I have the parts lists on the computer but not the service manual. It's paper and down the garage.
These have the end nut axles and can be difficult to remove the hubs to get to the retainers. You need a special wheel lug mount puller, which I bought, to get them off because they were often over torqued because of the large end nut and have a tapered end for alignment with a keyway. They didn't believe in lube and some maybe seized. We had the argument nearly a decade ago.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Alternative option to the puller to remove the brake drums, I used a slide hammer and long Grade 8, 9/16-20 bolts threaded into the drum to remove mine.
Bob J

Posted on: 2023/9/16 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I believe there is a !caution in a shop manual (See Literature Archive, this site) concerning striking the rear axle shaft or hub to remove the drum. Something about damaging a thrust bearing or something. I don't think it's a good idea to hit an axle or hub that is fitted with annular ball bearings.It might damage the bearing and lead to failure later.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 15:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved