Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Starting components
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also if the gas is the old and stale 5 year old gas get rid of that and get fresh before starting the engine. Several have found out the hard way after using old gas to start and run the engine for a few minutes that when trying to start it again a few days later the valves had stuck.

Something in the old gas turns to an almost glue like substance when heated and deposits on the valve stems making them stick in the valve guides. A couple of engines were so bad it took major disassembly and brute force to finally free the valves.

Posted on: 2023/9/17 11:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd want to drain the fuel tank and put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it, then let it sit for a day or two, then drain that and add another 5 gallons of fresh gas before starting the car. A pint of Sea Foam added to the fuel would be a good idea before starting it. I'd also want to change the oil once it is started and warmed up good, and add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in place of a quart of motor oil when refilling it. 10W30 detergent oil is a good choice. Change the oil filter if one is present. Brakes may give trouble if the parts are aged. Use caution, and be sure emergency brake is working.

Posted on: 2023/9/17 12:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Luis Espinosa
See User information
Hello,

If I do what you suggest, how would I start the car? I believe it won't start because its not wired to the starter or am I over thinking this? Thank you in advance

Posted on: 2023/9/17 19:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I have sn electromatic clutch on my std 8 49’ not durs how it works once i push the button in on the dash. Would it hurt to spray those buttons with some contact cleaner?🤔

Posted on: 2023/9/17 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Doc wrote:
I have sn electromatic clutch on my std 8 49’ not durs how it works once i push the button in on the dash. Would it hurt to spray those buttons with some contact cleaner?🤔

It wouldn't hurt but it also wouldn't help since the pushbuttons only provide a mechanical link to the actual switches that are mounted on a metal bar behind the dash. The electrical contacts are inside the switch.

Posted on: 2023/9/17 23:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hi there
I saw this device on my wdo carb assumed it had something to do with the starter or OD.
I removed it and disassembled it carefully and cleaned each component using a small brass brush and a sprits of carb cleaner. Will ohm test its function before installing the carb snd connecting the wires. I was impressed with the ingenuity in this design as it breaks the circuit as the engine starts and the incoming air keeps the butterfly open to keep the circuit open.
You can see it on the left lower of the image.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_6011.jpeg (3,462.55 KB)
226376_658f9a339e390.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/29 23:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a bit Carter published on the starter switch. Can't remember who originally posted it but think it might have been Ross?

Attach file:

pdf carter carstarter V2.pdf Size: 1,099.39 KB; Hits: 154

Posted on: 12/29 23:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved