Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Starting components
Just popping in
Just popping in

Luis Espinosa
See User information
Hello,
Just inherited a 1948 Coupe, 2211 model from my father in law. Car will not start. He informed me its some device that needs to activate when you press the gas pedal. Where is the device located and what is it called? Thank you in advance.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 10:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Starting components
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It probably has a switch located on the carburetor base. That would close when the pedal was floored to activate the starter. There are other parts involved, such as the starter solenoid and perhaps the voltage regulator or a vacuum switch. The switch is fairly easy to locate and test.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 11:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The starting switch is called a carburetor starting switch and the 48 2211 chassis should not have the large 356 engine and no automatic transmission so there should not be any extra starting interlocks. Just make sure the transmission is in neutral or clutch is depressed. Turn the key on, push the accelerator to the floor and the starter motor should operate.

Note that in some instances the carburetor starting switch was bypassed if it failed or sometimes due to owner preference and a regular pushbutton start installed. In other cases a pushbutton was wired in so both it or the carburetor switch could be used. Those pushbuttons were often mounted out of sight under the dash edge.

The starting switch is a black plastic object on the rear side of the carburetor. The location varies by carburetor model but I think yours may be lower down toward the passenger side of carburetor base. It should have two wires connected -- one on each side of the switch. It is activated when the accelerator pedal is pushed almost all the way to the floor. When the starter switch is activated it connects 6 volts coming from the ign switch to the small terminal on top of the starter solenoid to energize the starter motor. The solenoid is positioned on top of the starter motor.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 12:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I'm assuming you have a charged 6V battery connected, and (for example) the headlights work when you turn the key on?

How long has it been parked? Maybe the points need cleaned a bit.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 12:50
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Hope these are of some help to you.

For purposes of just to get it running, if the carb switch if faulty it won't start, take a ~foot length of 12 GA wire and attach two spade terminals one on each end. Connect one end to each side of the carb switch screw terminals to in effect by-pass it.

Attach file:

pdf 46-48_Repair_Tuneup_Manual.pdf Size: 6,947.54 KB; Hits: 26
pdf Carb switch.pdf Size: 229.37 KB; Hits: 52

Posted on: 2023/9/16 14:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Luis Espinosa,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '48 Coupe in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 17:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Luis Espinosa
See User information
been sitting for 5 years. He would start it up occasionally, but was having issues starting lately, until I inherited it. Battery is charged, engine turns, but might be the switch on the carb

Posted on: 2023/9/17 9:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Luis Espinosa
See User information
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate your knowledge. Follow up questions, what are some good website to purchase parts in the future? Also is the plastic carburetor component available at local Auto zone or O'Reilly?

Posted on: 2023/9/17 9:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Usually the plastic starter switch fails because the metal ball inside gets rusty and/or the contacts get dirty. I would try to take it apart and clean it well. Then it work just fine. Common issue.

Regular part stores will not carry that or anything for your carb. Too old.

You have to go through either a Packard vendor or someone like Daytona Carb who specializes in old carbs.

Posted on: 2023/9/17 10:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Battery is charged, engine turns, but might be the switch on the carb

If the engine turns then the switch on the carburetor is working so check the points (both that they are clean and that they are properly adjusted), then be sure that the carburetor is getting fuel.

Posted on: 2023/9/17 10:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved