Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

tsherry, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard clock faceplate
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
I am having my Packard clock repaired for the 8th time and am seriously thinking of having it converted to quartz but my question involves the color of the faceplate. Please see the pictures attached.
The clock has a gold faceplate with a minute hand that has a platinum center but the rest of the instrument cluster is all in platinum.

Can anyone tell me if this is incorrect?

Would Packard have shipped the factory clock with a gold faceplate when the other parts of the instruments were platinum?
I would think that everything would have been platinum from the factory and my guess is that the clock was replaced along the way with another clock that had the gold faceplate but retained the original platinum minute hand.

Now that the clock is out of the car (for the 8th or 10th time), I would like to get the right faceplate to match the original.

How can I determine what it looked like originally?

This is the 1949 Deluxe Club Sedan #2301.

Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  Packard clock faceplate.jpg (35.38 KB)
12061_652c8a387e457.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  Packard instrument cluster.jpg (41.78 KB)
12061_652c8a58dd953.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/10/15 19:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard clock faceplate
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the parts book there was only one clock used and it was the same for all models in both the 22 and 23 series. What little I could see of a couple of clusters in the few color photos in Bob Neal's book it looks like faces might have been gold with a silver center.

Packard instrument faces did seem to fade depending on whether they got a lot of direct sunlight. Several years ago I helped a friend who had a 53 with a mismatch issue recolor his instrument faces. His faces had faded to a mismatched gray and upon removing a center cover piece to get the faces ready we found the faces should have been a maroon color. His faces had faded severely and differently.

A question would be if the same happened in your car or was the clock or speedo changed out. Possibly one had been NOS or came from a car that faded differently.

Let us know if you get the quartz conversion and who was willing to do it. I had a movement put in my 56 clock and it was involved because the face was large enough the time set gearing needed from the knob was not an easy reach to the small quartz movement. They had to custom make a mounting and add an additional gear train to make the long reach work. When I went to do the 47 found that company is no longer doing conversions. I have found with larger diameter clocks some that do conversions do not want the extra work or maybe do not have the facilities to make something that involved.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 21:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard clock faceplate
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Howard,
You have helped me out many times on my 2126 and more recently on my 55 400.
I had my 2126 clock reburbished and converted to quartz last spring.
Instrument Services
4075 Steele Drive
Machesney Park IL
815 316 2921
Best of luck
custo eight

Posted on: 2023/10/23 19:36
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved