Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1951 Packard 300 idle problem
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also verify that the accelerator pump isn't shot. If you hold open the choke plate and work the throttle you should be able to see it squirt gas into the carb. If your accelerator pump is probably shot.

At a minimum, I try to clean the carb. Really unless you know the last time it was rebuilt, put a fresh rebuild kit on it.

Posted on: 2023/10/17 17:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

HAR wrote:
Where is the ceramic fuel element located?

Either right behind the carb fuel inlet or directly in front of the carb in a glass bowl. They don't show when they are clogged... you just have to backflush them.

If you don't have one, perhaps screens in the carb are clogged.

Posted on: 2023/10/17 19:01
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

HAR
See User information
Jerome,
I would like to thank all those on this site who helped me, and particularly you.
I now have my 1951 300 running and idling, although a little rough. After replacing points (set at .016) and plugs (set at.32;I know that is above spec), I decided to do as you said. I removed the carb and blew it out with carb cleaner. Replaced carb and it started to idle, but I noticed that only a small amount of gas was coming from the second barrel. Decided to remove the idle mixture screw and again blow it out with carb cleaner. Now the two barrels emit gas more or less equally and the car idles. I can only assume that I had several problems, but primarily old gas varnish from the filter had slightly stopped up the inlet. Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2023/11/14 12:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved