Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

Marvin, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Upholstery Refresh
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
U R welcome.

Smell is a whole "nother" ball game.
The carpet padding is a musty place often and who knows what lurks in the interstices from years of accumulation.
That pile of cotton falling out is suspect of vermin activity unless the burlap collapsed. I've seen nesting in headliners too.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
U R welcome.

Smell is a whole "nother" ball game.
The carpet padding is a musty place often and who knows what lurks in the interstices from years of accumulation.
That pile of cotton falling out is suspect of vermin activity unless the burlap collapsed. I've seen nesting in headliners too.

After a little consulting with some upholstery experts, this is my current plan.

Headliner-leave alone
Door panels-gentle cleaning
Seats-replace fabric & foam and use a ozone generator to get rid of any smell in the cotton & burlap. A bit of rust to take care of on a couple of the frames as well.
Floor-Replace original "tar paper" with sound deadener, replace carpet padding and replace carpet.

This should get the interior in pretty good shape and up to the task for a driver.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Carpets and carpet padding are often sources of odor. Most old auto carpets have been wet at one time or another, besides being saturated with dust, dander, cigarette droppings, mold, and more, such as corrosive salt or other de-icing chemicals. Getting an old carpet wet often causes an explosion of dank odor. Best to replace it. If you attempt to clean it, take it out of the car for cleaning and be sure it is completely dry before reinstalling. Always use new padding.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
Carpets and carpet padding are often sources of odor. Most old auto carpets have been wet at one time or another, besides being saturated with dust, dander, cigarette droppings, mold, and more, such as corrosive salt or other de-icing chemicals. Getting an old carpet wet often causes an explosion of dank odor. Best to replace it. If you attempt to clean it, take it out of the car for cleaning and be sure it is completely dry before reinstalling. Always use new padding.

Good advice, carpet and padding is out and not going back in. It is definately the primary source of the dank odor.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Working on my front seat. Frames cleaned & painted along with a couple of minor repairs. Burlap for springs replaced along with that other band of canvas. (Replacing all fabrics & foam inside my seats.)

After much research and talking to "experts", who suggested just using foam with a layer of fill over top that's what I decided to do. #MISTAKE!!! I could get the foam the shape I wanted and it while it didn't feel bad, it was more like a seat in my Ford Escape than a luxurious Packard seat.

So back to doing what I know I should always be doing, which is do what Packard did, or at least very close!

Foam for the seat with cotton on top, might put a layer of polyester fill between just because it will retain its springiness longer than the cotton will. The picture shows an 8 oz, but I would just use a 4 oz as I don't want to overstuff the seats.

Two steps forward, one step back! Learning lots, spending lots & having fun!

Posted on: 12/16 11:35
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Looks great! Where are you getting the materials from? I'm glad to see you can get new burlap with wire in it. And I hadn't thought about how foam might feel different from cotton. I'll be having a shop do the seats on mine and I'll have to check with them on the details of what will be done under the covers.

-Kevin

Posted on: 12/17 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Materials are coming from all over!

The base of the seat is coir instead of the jute pad. The reinforcing that was stitched to the jute I replaced with polyester fabric from a screen shade. (I do window coverings.) I sewed it to the coir. Bought this off Amazon. Picture of this through the seat springs.

The cotton is coming from an upholstery shop. A "bale" is $130 and they said it will be more than enough to do my car. I might do one layer of polyester fill just because it will be a bit more springy than the cotton, but the top layer will be cotton covered with muslin, the way it was originally.

The foam came from a place that specializes in foam, they'll cut what size and density you want.

Burlap for the springs came from Amazon.

I spent $300 on foam for the front and back seats thinking that was the way to go, but in the end I only needed $80 worth of foam and have a bale of cotton on order.

I was told by several professionals that using foam with a layer of fill over it was the answer, but for me it is 100% not the answer. I'm so glad that I was doing my seats myself and discovered this right away, rather than after everything was done and back together.

Learning LOTS on this project!

Attach file:

jpg  20231213_121856_resized.jpg (407.30 KB)
226104_657e972b81e6f.jpg 1008X756 px

jpg  20231215_164940_resized_1.jpg (291.46 KB)
226104_657e973bb27a3.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 12/17 1:41
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Nice work! I will use this as a reference when a reupholster my 2dr this summer, thanks! Keep posting the good work

Posted on: 12/17 12:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Now I just have to find a way to get them from New Hamsphire to Oregon because I think I’ve found the only 2dr seats available for a 23rd series in the whole country!

Attach file:

png  CF827E01-BD6F-4D23-AACE-E2E2CE7969DE.png (8,923.21 KB)
226515_657f2a801f3ae.png 1284X2778 px

Posted on: 12/17 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BlakesPackards wrote:
Now I just have to find a way to get them from New Hamsphire to Oregon because I think I’ve found the only 2dr seats available for a 23rd series in the whole country!

Those seats are not going to fit in an envelope! LOL

What happened to your seats that you need to get different ones?

Upholstery is not my area of expertise by any stretch, but it may be by the time I'm done!

Posted on: 12/17 12:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved