Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

HH56, JD in KC, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Upholstery Refresh
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To SMS? They don’t work on seats so you need to remove the upholstery and send it to them (without the seat).

Posted on: 12/17 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
To SMS? They don’t work on seats so you need to remove the upholstery and send it to them (without the seat).

I'm repairing and using the original seat covers. I have some material on order from SMS to replace the light gray fluted portion of the seat back. Hopefully it arrives early in the New Year, just about ready for it.

Posted on: 12/17 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I see. You’re buying the seats and need them shipped to Oregon. If available where the seat is located, try Alaska Air Freight to see if they will do something that large and heavy. I had a very long Henney-Packard tailpipe shipped to my Oregon shop that other shippers wanted upward to $3000 to transport it while Alaska Air Freight was just over $100. Of course, it would have to be taken to the airport and picked up from it on your end.

Posted on: 12/17 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I believe the seat covers in my 53 Cavalier are 100% nylon (not the piping). Can anyone confirm this, or direct me to somewhere I could find that info?

Attach file:

jpg  20231220_122311.jpg (4,566.20 KB)
226104_658af79153dc3.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/26 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This is a practice seat cover to see if I should even tackle this upholstery project. I have some EXPENSIVE fabric coming from SMS. (Last night that seat cover was a drop cloth! LOL)

My original plan was to reuse the original dark gray fabric, but it's not strong enough for a driver, so I'm replacing all the fabric on the seats. Foam, burlap, cotton etc has all been replaced inside as well.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  20231229_203602.jpg (4,275.73 KB)
226104_658f996e3446a.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/29 23:16
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I have to say that looks pretty good. You have the benefit of your seats being un-pleated. So the sewing is not as demanding and much more straightforward. Based on what I see here I think you may be able to pull it off yourself. But I hear you about the expensive fabric from SMS.

The fabric for my seats ended up being over $800. 4 yards of nylon fabric and 4 yards of vinyl. Leather is original but out of the question for this project (lead time is over a year for leather). I briefly debated doing the seat covers myself and could've had a friend teach me how. But my seats are pleated with tuck and roll, and if I were to make one mistake on measurements and sewing, it would ruin the whole panel and cost me hundreds of dollars. So I'm letting professionals do it instead.

-Kevin

Posted on: 12/30 1:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
One of those projects where I was completely in over my head! But I did some research, AKA watched YouTube videos, copied what Packard did, and it seems to have turned out okay.

The back does have pletes, so that is the next challenge!

Posted on: 12/30 1:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Looks really good!! I have my work cut out for me !

Ive got this ugly whatever this mess is on both front and back covering the original material. You cannsee the original on the back seat arm rests.

Posted on: 12/30 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Oh dear, that fabric is pretty bold! At least it has stripes like the original!

This upholstery work has been a steep learning curve, but that's how most projects are on my car! I had never replaced valve guides before, but did that this year too!

Posted on: 12/30 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
First, HAPY NEW YEAR to all !
My friend and I did the interior on my 37 115c and I did a series of posts about the project.

My life experiences had NO upholstery in it and Linda was an at home seamstress with no upholstery experience.

We decided that it was just pieces stitched together and if we could disassemble it and measure it than we could duplicate it.

In the postings I tried to cover the high points of the issues found.

Topic: "1937 115c touring, Upholstery"

Please check it out as a little pre new year relaxation.

Larry

Posted on: 12/30 11:16
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved