Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

kevinpackard, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: Upholstery Refresh
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
That cleaned up nicely. What did you use for it?

Posted on: 2/21 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
That cleaned up nicely. What did you use for it?

I used a few things. Started by just using soap and water to see what would easily come off, then some upholstery cleaner, then a solution of Didi Seven and lastly a magic eraser to get a couple of marks. Lastly I gave it a coat of Gummi Pflege Stift, covered it with plastic wrap and let it soak in for a week. It's not perfect, but it will present very well. Plus, it's an exact match to the front seat and doors, and it's original!!!

Posted on: 2/22 0:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m glad to see that Gummi Pflege Stift is being used to such a great advantage. It really is a remarkable product!

Posted on: 2/22 4:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I’m glad to see that Gummi Pflege Stift is being used to such a great advantage. It really is a remarkable product!

Agreed! Anytime I take a piece of rubber off my car I clean it, coat it with Gummi Pflege Stift wrap it up and leave it for as long as I can. Warming pieces a bit helps as well. I cleaned up and treated my windshield gasket and the guys that did my windshield thought I bought a new one.

Attach file:

jpg  20231006_113705_resized_1.jpg (922.19 KB)
226104_65d7658bddadd.jpg 1512X2016 px

Posted on: 2/22 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
What kind of clips are holding these covers? I thought maybe they were the same as the door panel's, but they don't look like it.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/10 12:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are asking about the vertical upholstery panel between doors I suspect they might be the same fasteners as the 47 used. Those fasteners look very much like a wide flat headed roofing nail but the shank has serrations down its length and the diameter is slightly different than a roofing nail.

The "nail" goes thru the panel with the flat head on the outside and under the padding behind the upholstery. It is held in the panel by a round flat retainer much like a push on speednut. Panel is paced in positions and the "nail" assys are pushed into tubular receiver like pieces that insert in holes in the inner sheetmetal. The "nail" serrations catch little tabs in the insert pieces and is held quite securely.

A wide but thin and sturdy pry tool positioned above and below each "nail" will pull them out but the tabs in the receiver pieces may be damaged and if the pry tool is too far from the fastener when leverage is applied, if the upholstery backing board is brittle it can break or fastener can pull thru.

Here is what 47 used.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_1227.jpeg (56.36 KB)
209_65edf8cf07125.jpeg 1280X378 px

jpeg  IMG_1228.jpeg (40.09 KB)
209_65edf8dda970e.jpeg 1280X270 px

jpeg  IMG_1224.jpeg (169.69 KB)
209_65edf98d4f6d3.jpeg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 3/10 13:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I believe they are the same as the ones you show. I was going to remove them to protect them while working on some floor pan repairs, but I think I'll wrap them up instead of risking damaging them trying to remove them.

Thank you!

Posted on: 3/10 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Headliner project is coming up soon. A little cleaning and dyeing to get it closer to it's original colour.

I can pull the headliner just a little tighter to hide those rust stains.

Posted on: 4/8 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe some rust remover would help get the stains out but try it on a completely hidden area first!

Posted on: 4/8 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I will clean up the stains a bit to make sure anything that doesn't pull under the trim is masked by the dye........need to be gentle with this 71 years old fabric!

The very best project I've found for rust stains, and stains of all sorts, is Didi Seven. It actually works!

Posted on: 4/8 12:07
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved