Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Love the questions!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

For example, when I started my new job last year, my 60-year-old boss asked me if I had been in the industry long enough to remember when the capacitor plague happened. After a quick Google, I replied: well, sort of... it started when I was 3.

You young guys don't know what excitement you missed with that little blip in history and I think it actually started a little earlier than the article mentions. Most of the time when one acted up it was just annoying with maybe a pop or a bit of smoke. Sometimes a unit acted up but unless something stopped working completely a lot of other times no one even knew there was a problem.

My introduction to the excitement aspect during that plague time was because the company I worked for made an Xray generator in the late 90s with a very large bank of coke can sized electrolytic capacitors. This was in a time when equipment space was at a premium because customers wanted to devote the minimum to anything other than direct patient care. To cut down on the need for extra cabinets, mfgs were trying to stuff any cabinets they had to have full and some did it to the extreme. In this instance an engineer chose to place the capacitor bank in a cabinet that went next to the operator. Apparently some of the faulty units were in the mix of a dozen or so capacitors that made up that bank. The root of this story is one capacitor decided it was time to go and chose to do so just when the operator pushed the exposure button.

When I arrived to service the unit later that day the department was still in an uproar because when the capacitor went it did so with a cloud of smoke and very loud bang heard thruout the dept. I got the story second hand but other staff said the operator was yelling as he out one door and a student tech ran out another door, neither of them in back to work condition as they both went home early. No mention of how the patient fared but fortunately he was some distance away from the action. Apparently someone else came in the room to take him out. It is funny to look back on it now but at the time, not so much. Aside from operators nerves, the mess and damage the exploding capacitor caused inside the cabinet was a pain. Needless to say all other capacitors in the bank were changed out.

Just think of the kind of things you missed out on by being too young for the plague period. 😀

Posted on: 2023/10/29 11:36
Howard
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Aside from operators nerves, the mess and damage the exploding capacitor caused inside the cabinet was a pain.

At my company we test new (and old) equipment with the cabinet doors open to be able to see indicator lights inside the cabinet, etc., which works well except one time someone installed one of those Coke sized capacitors backwards (something like 1000V 2200μF rating) which immediately burst into flames as soon as someone turned on power. Luckily no one was injured because no one was wearing PPE (SOP at our plant unfortunately).

Posted on: 2023/10/29 11:56
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
"Can you still get parts for it?"

"Is that a Rolls Royce?"

"How much did that cost?"

Posted on: 2023/10/29 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Dads 56 wrote:
😁😁

Drive. Hold our beer. Shift gears. Light cigarettes. Dang millennials don't know how hard we had it.

;)

Posted on: 2023/10/29 13:26
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved