Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 120

HH56, Ernie Vitucci, CCR, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 120 Pedal Grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Could somebody post a picture of the proper installation of the Pedal Grommets? Not certain where they are to be placed.

Much appreciated!

Posted on: 2023/11/3 9:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Pedal Grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

37Blanche wrote:
Could somebody post a picture of the proper installation of the Pedal Grommets? Not certain where they are to be placed.

Much appreciated!

I'm at work until late afternoon. If no one beats me to it, I'll get a picture for you.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 9:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the 37 seals are the same as these shown on a 47. You remove the pedal pads and floor plate so the seals can slide down the arm so as to go under the plate with the small end resting on the pad on the pedal arm. It helps to use dish detergent or silicone spray on the small inside end of the seals to help them slide down the arms. When the plate is replaced, the bellows portion of the seal collapses against the underside of the plate to make the seal.

Attach file:

jpg  seal.jpg (277.03 KB)
209_65450d10cef61.jpg 1208X1556 px

Posted on: 2023/11/3 10:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks Howard. Not sure it is totally the same. I do not have a plate, but rather a board on the foot rest area. Are you saying I would remove the board place the grommets down the pedal shaft, and the place the board on top of the grommets to compress?

Attach file:

jpg  Foot board.jpg (422.32 KB)
226403_654512aa9e51d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/11/3 10:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did confirm the same 300915 boots or seals are used on your 37 as is shown on the 47 in the illustration.

Not that familiar with your model but later cars with sheet metal floors have a small plate that can be removed. If the floor board is one piece on your car, unless the holes the arms extend thru are fairly large (doubtful since the seals would not have much of a surface to push and seal against) and somehow the seals can be compressed to fit thru the holes and get started on the arms then pushed down from the engine side, I would presume that floorboard would need to lift off or at least lift high enough so the seals can be started over the ends.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
ok. Thanks Howard. we'll see if someone can give me a picture of theirs installed. Picture is worth 1000 words! ElGroucho said he may be able to.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other caution if the floorboard does need to lift or come off. To remove or lift that floorboard it looks like the accelerator pedal would also need to be disengaged. It appears from the parts illustration 37s have the same ball and socket connection to the accelerator pedal as later models.

The ball on the rod end just pulls out of a rubber socket molded onto the back of the pedal but if the pedal is old or original there is every chance the rubber is dry and very brittle. DO NOT just grab the pedal and pull to separate it from the rod but rather reach over the top or use either side of the pedal and with fingers on either side of the rod, position your fingers so they are actually supporting the rubber socket portion and can provide a counter force directly holding the socket against the pull needed as you separate the ball. That should prevent the socket from pulling off the metal. If by chance the socket is still too dry and it does separate or a section breaks off, Kanter may still have new repro pedals for less than it costs to have the rubber revulcanized.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 11:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Yes, I have pedals removed already, including the gas pedal, when i went to put these on the first time, but became a bit more difficult than anticipated. I saw a post on a different topic where they were on the other side of the firewall (engine side) thus the question. I think i just need a picture of a 37 with the grommets on, and it will give me some direction.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 11:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The grommets go on the engine side of the firewall. They effectively "seal" only when the pedals are up, as they travel with the pedal stalk. Packard I think didn't here to prevent a toe board mounted grommet from ever causing a stuck pedal.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 13:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks BigKev. So how do you get them on the engine side? Assume there is an "unhook" at the bottom of the shaft that I could get at from the underside and slide them up?

Posted on: 2023/11/3 17:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved