Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Need a bunch of parts for my 1941 120
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
Seems your car was picked for parts already. Something to always consider when purchasing a non-complete vehicle. There's only so many made, then only so many survive, and survivors need parts and that limits the parts scene and causes what you have - a parts car. NOS has been depleted many decades.
Undecided, I suggest you take a critical look at it and decide if it's worth restoring or doing something else - sell, part out, custom, etc. before going forward. eg: graft in a modern dash, make the trim pieces, etc. Otherwise, they remain incomplete money and time pits not worth as much as you put in.
Pick projects carefully not on a whim/happenstance or because of a "deal". If one doesn't know why they buy before/what they're going to do with it/parts available/capable of, it's too late to walk away. Good luck.

Good grief. This is a hobby, and besides that, it goes without saying anymore that once you start restoring ANY car that's worth under $200,000 when finished that you'll have more into it than it's "worth." The value of restoring and enjoying old cars is not supposed to be measured in dollars.

Yea.. making money restoring cars is pretty much impossible.

I don't think there is any shame in walking away or parting out a car if you realize it's more than you can take on...but this car definitely isn't that far gone.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
People make money on cars?
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 15:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Bob J wrote:
People make money on cars?
Bob J.

Definitely..but restoring/restomodding them... not so much

Posted on: 2023/11/27 15:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

cmarshall@kanter.com
See User information
The 110-120 Packard Parts Catalog

https://www.kanter.com/p-35855-packard-110-120-parts.html#!year%3D1941

My apologies for wrong links posted, Please use above link for 110-120 Parts. We will be updating our website in the near future. For any inquiries please feel free to pm me.

Thanks,

Charod Marshall
Kanter LLC

Posted on: 2023/11/27 16:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Hi Charod.

Yes I understand now. The website showed the Deluxe kit for the "Clipper" and the Standard kit for the "Super 8", hence my confusion/concern.

Do you know if you guys use the same supplier as Max Merritt for suspension components? Just curious if there is any quality difference. Obviously, both places seem like good companies to do business with.

I also need motor/trans mounts and body mounts. I'll try to make a complete list of everything I need to order in the next couple days.

I got your PM. Thank you for that. Have you had any feedback regarding the disc brake conversion kits? Just curious how well they adapt. Do they come with instructions? I'd love to see those before ordering/trying it.

Attach file:

jpg  pa.jpg (114.76 KB)
226532_656536e809f38.jpg 890X657 px

Posted on: 2023/11/27 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The factory drum breaks can lock up the wheels- the braking distance will be set by the tires at almost locked. Disk brakes will improve fade resistance on repeated hard stops but not necessarily stopping distance. My point is what are you expecting disk conversion to do?

Posted on: 2023/11/27 20:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
The factory drum breaks can lock up the wheels- the braking distance will be set by the tires at almost locked. Disk brakes will improve fade resistance on repeated hard stops but not necessarily stopping distance. My point is what are you expecting disk conversion to do?

I simply prefer disc brakes over drums. Easier (in my opinion) to work on, power brakes will work better, etc.. I have no interest in preserving originality on this car at this point. I'm also going with 12V, which I know will cause some people's heads to explode.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Reality check:'41 is one of "those" years in the auto world. Production was just getting back up post depression after industry shake out, then Pearl Harbor. War was already in Europe since '39, shaky economy. '41s were just getting going. The war powers act shutdown further consumer auto production. The later war cars would have '41 parts but military. ie; the pile is smaller to start.
The guy making the 'money' is the one that recognized this and has the parts.
It's part of the 'hobby' knowing what's what.
If not for that, I'm silent.
If it's not "complete" then it's been used for/lost some of it's parts or aka "parts car".
Many today are not aware of the history. >80 years since '41.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 10:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved