Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor Base Gasket
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Hey all - CONFIDENT that I'm overthinking this. Obviously an A/L distributor on my 2302's 327. Recently had my distributor and vacuum advance rebuilt. Went to get it all reinstalled with a new cork gasket from MM. Upon just snugging everything up, I found the distributor housing to be SUPER tight and resistant to spinning. The locking screw wasn't engaged at all.

Will it loosen up when the engine is running, or should I just go with the a modern o-ring (what Olsen's had sent me previously for a distributor gasket)? I had the o-ring in before getting the advance back, but I'm also relatively certain it doesn't really do anything. My concern is that it's so tight that a. I won't be able to set timing and b. the vacuum advance won't be able to do what it's supposed to do and will get damaged.

I haven't tried to run the car yet... the driveshaft is still out; waiting on the new u-joints. Thanks, all!

Attach file:

jpg  Rebuilt Distributor-Vacuum Advance.jpg (447.04 KB)
225648_656a87163b7ec.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 12/1 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor Base Gasket
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Who rebuilt your distributor? My distributor guy passed away and I need a new vendor.

Thanks,
Earl

Posted on: 12/1 20:50
1953 Packard Patrician 400 Touring Sedan
*Factory AC
*3spd manual with overdrive
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Driver's side spotlight mirror
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
*Rear radio speaker with dash volume control
*Original interior other than the carpet
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Earl - very sorry to hear this! I used Advanced Distributors in Minnesota:https://www.advanceddistributors.com/ VERY fair pricing, turned around in one week, came back looking brand new, and very responsive after getting the unit back as well. Great experience.

Posted on: 12/1 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I had just redone all mine too, distributor, advance , along with all other engine components.
I agree that the original gasket was a cork ring. In my gasket kit from Kanter they supplied an O-Ring, a neoprene material. I was skeptical it would work, but it spins smooth to set timing and has no leaks, at least after the 1st 100 miles. Weather closed in to stop the driving for this year.
Bob J.

Posted on: 12/1 22:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved