Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 191

Joe, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Hydraulic Lifter Tick
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Gary49eight wrote:
Sorry, I just don't get it. I cannot fathom the idea of using oil like 10W30 in one of these old bangers. I am sure the teenager at the parts retailer thinks it is good oil, yes it is, for a 2020 engine. As Scotty from Star Trek kept reminding Kirk, ye cannae change the laws of physics. The physics here is called Couette Flow, which in a nutshell means the greater the clearances the higher viscosity oil you need. More recent engines have much smaller clearances, so they can use lower viscosity lubricant, this reduces bearing friction. Engines made 70 years ago were never intended for anything less than 20W50, unless you are north of the Arctic Circle.
The lower viscosity oil will escape more easily from hydraulic lifters too. maybe that is the cause of your lifter rattle. If anyone has been running a Packard engine on low viscosity oil and tears it down for a rebuild, please post photos of the crank and bearings. Additionally hydraulic lifters don't like gunk in them, so one suggestion is use Diesel engine oil. Diesels are filthy, so oil for them has a high detergent content. You will be unlikely to get blockages in the lifters or galleries. Avoid the low viscosity 'water", this is poison.
Gary (mechanical engineer)

I don't think this is actually correct, Packard did not design the 327 for heavier weight oils. "If" you have low oil pressure due to your engine being worn, then a heavier weight oil can help compensate for that. If your engine is within spec, then I would follow what Packard engineers recommend.

Attach file:

jpg  327 Oil.JPG (25.15 KB)
226104_65a1626ea0545.jpg 545X180 px

png  327 oil 2.png (11.52 KB)
226104_65a16276e2f3c.png 331X90 px

Posted on: 1/12 11:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Digging into disassembly.

Attach file:

jpg  20240112_135455.jpg (5,779.23 KB)
225648_65a197c7cfd52.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 1/12 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Joe wrote:
Digging into disassembly.

Been there done that!!!

How do your cylinder walls look? I think with the amount of build up you should pull your pan again and pull your pistons. You might have rings that are stuck, and rings are inexpensive, you could clean your pistons and throw a new set in. Might as well keep going down the rabbit hole! LOL

It would also allow you to check your wrist pin bushings, although I don't think your noise is a bad bushing, but engine noises are funny things. Might as well check your piston clearance as well. Mine were a bit loose so I had them coated.

By the time you're done she's going to purr like a kitten!

Keep posting updates!

Posted on: 1/12 15:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
That is my point, use the 10 weight only if you want to go ice road trucking.

Posted on: 1/13 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Modern 10W30 oil will behave much like a 10W straight grade WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD. This is all to the good in cold weather, and at start-up. When the engine is up to operating temperature, 10W30 oil will behave much the same way as would a 30W straight grade at operating temperature. This, again, is all to the good.

Old engines can be destroyed by running heavy oil in very cold weather.

Ford recommended the equivalent of 20W for the Model T Ford for general use, and insisted on a quality oil with a low cold test. In very cold weather, 10W oil or adding kerosene to thin the oil was recommended. Chevrolet recommended 20W in summer for their 6 cylinder engines and 10W in winter, and under extreme conditions, 10W with 10% kerosene added. This advice can be found in Chevrolet owners manuals as late as 1949.

Packard engines were designed with ample bearing areas and featured full pressure oiling to all critical parts. But they still benefit from oils that perform well at low temperatures as well at as operating temperatures and hot summer conditions. Modern, quality multi-grade oils meet and exceed that requirement, and have high film strength and many other advantageous characteristics that make them far superior to straight grade, non-detergent oils for use in older engines, including Packards.

I run 5W30 synthetic in a Model T Ford with excellent results in 100F+ temperatures at speeds above 40 MPH.

The previous owner ran the same car and same engine in several Montana 500 races using 0W20 synthetic oil. He posted average speeds in the 53 to 54 MPH range over the 500 mile open road course. He finished every race he entered. I've run the same car around 14,000 miles using 5W30 synthetic oil at speeds in the 35 to 45 MPH range with no issues whatever. That's remarkable performance for a Model T engine that is stock except for a high lift cam.

Automobile engines need high quality motor oil, not grease!

Posted on: 1/13 9:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The engine in the picture appears to have patches of carbon on the cylinder walls. (May be a reflection)
If the dark areas on the cylinder walls are in fact carbon, That indicates stuck rings or possibly excess wear. Stuck rings can occur even in low mileage engines. There should be no carbon on the cylinder walls except for a narrow ring at the very top of the bore.

Posted on: 1/13 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
The engine in the picture appears to have patches of carbon on the cylinder walls. (May be a reflection)
If the dark areas on the cylinder walls are in fact carbon, That indicates stuck rings or possibly excess wear. Stuck rings can occur even in low mileage engines. There should be no carbon on the cylinder walls except for a narrow ring at the very top of the bore.

Agreed. Too many of these vintage cars sit for long periods of time, and then when they do get taken out it's only to go get ice cream. Need to get out on the road and go for a nice cruise every now and then to keep them from getting like this.

Posted on: 1/13 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Fortunately it appears to (mostly) just be a reflection, as the actual carbon ring is visible on some inspection. Though the overall carbon buildup is still of concern.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 1/13 11:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Fortunately it appears to (mostly) just be a reflection, as the actual carbon ring is visible on some inspection. Though the overall carbon buildup is still of concern.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Did you ever do a vacuum test on your engine? One possibility is you have worn valve guides and your engine has been ingesting some oil. Was the exhaust a bit blue/smoky? Probably didn't put on enough miles to know if it was actually using oil.

As previously mentioned, stuck or worn rings could be a culprit as well.

Once you get some springs off you check and see if you can wiggle the valve in the guide, clearance is only a few thou, with exhaust being a couple thou more. Service manual will say exactly, but I think it's .003 and .005. Best to measure them so you know for sure. Good chance you'll find valve stems with wear on one side and valve guides with a bit of an hour glass shape. Ask me how I know! LOL

Keep going! Once you get everything apart, measured, tested and cleaned, you'll know just what needs to be done and then you can start putting it back together, which is the fun part!

Posted on: 1/13 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had a 1951 Henney-Packard combination (5-main 327 with hydraulic lifters) that had an odd sound that seemed to be something between a lifter tap and a knock. After disassembly (in the car), checking and cleaning the lifters as needed, resurfacing the bottoms of the lifter bodies and properly checking the valve stem clearance (lapped the valves while I was at it), the sound persisted. The engine idled quietly and ran quietly as it did before but when gunning the throttle, the sound was there. I finally found a clue in an old Motor’s Manual that it was something called rod alignment which I had never heard of before. Had I removed the rods and taken out the wrist pins, then laying each one on its side on a flat surface and checking the distance to the surface at the wrist pin end, one of them would not have had the same distance. Apparently it’s not quite the same as a bent rod.

Obviously your issue is a lifter but I wanted to share that there are other things that can make similar sounds.

Posted on: 1/13 16:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved