Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

windshield wiper positioning is off, need help
Just popping in
Just popping in

56Packard
See User information
I finally found some wiper and tensioning assemblies and installed them on my 56, got decent tension on the cables without overdoing it so happy about that, but...
The blades are not sync'd, one is about 80 degrees off from the other.

I assume I have to swap out cable positions but dont see a better way that will fix this. What should I try?

Thanks in advance

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/24 19:25
 Top  Print   

Re: windshield wiper positioning is off, need help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Remove the blades, turn the motor on for a weep then off to get the drive pulley in the correct starting position. Then ensure you have the cables wrapped around the drive pulley and positioned in the correct grooves with the copper and plain ends of the cables engaged in the drive pulley as shown in the photo on page 5 of the instrument section of 55-6 service manual. One of the cables from each side pivot goes on top, the other on the bottom. If that is correct the procedure is to turn the motor on again and let it run for a sweep or two (make sure the lever is set for the normal arc sweep) and then turn the wipers off. When the motor stops it should be in the park position. You can then place the arms on the serrated posts with the blade just barely touching the chrome molding or a tiny bit above it.

Posted on: 3/24 20:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

56Packard
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Remove the blades, turn the motor on for a weep then off to get the drive pulley in the correct starting position. Then ensure you have the cables wrapped around the drive pulley and positioned in the correct grooves with the copper and plain ends of the cables engaged in the drive pulley as shown in the photo on page 5 of the instrument section of 55-6 service manual. One of the cables from each side pivot goes on top, the other on the bottom. If that is correct the procedure is to turn the motor on again and let it run for a sweep or two (make sure the lever is set for the normal arc sweep) and then turn the wipers off. When the motor stops it should be in the park position. You can then place the arms on the serrated posts with the blade just barely touching the chrome molding or a tiny bit above it.

Awesome, Thanks! I assume the arms are easy to pull, I didnt see a retainer of any kind but will look again.

Posted on: 3/25 8:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Arms are also covered in the service manual instrument section and there is a reminder and maybe a bit more detail in an article on page 25 in this service counselor.

Posted on: 3/25 8:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved