Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 147

Joe Santana, HH56, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear Window-2672
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
As you know a project is never "a" project, it is always several projects. While my interior is out I removed the rear window trim so I can polish and reseal it, which I'm glad I did as the dum dum is done done. But when I pulled the trim off I found some rust underneath which is under the window seal as well. I've decided the rear window should come out to fix this up.

It seems pretty straight forward, and can be done one section at a time according to the service manual. If you have any tips or tricks, such as soap and a rope, I'm all ears!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/1 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Window-2672
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Prepare for pain. Just kidding. (Maybe.)

Even though yours is in 3 sections I would have a helper there when you are trying it. Obviously dish soap can't really hurt. I would apply it to both sides of the rubber.

Posted on: 4/1 11:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the rubber is hard, I'm wondering if maybe a little - a very little - heat might help, such as from a heat gun rather than from a propane torch. HPH is right about having someone to help.

Posted on: 4/1 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I think a bit of heat would certainly help, and soap for sure! The gasket looks to be in better shape than my windshield gasket, which was reused after I cleaned it up and gave it several treatments of gummi pflege. I'm pretty sure both gaskets are original, 71 years old.

Posted on: 4/1 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Oh, I thought you had new rubber. Yikes. You're lucky if you can get it to seat normally... I reused the rubber on my 55 Clipper back glass, and while it's installed, it's only sorta right.

Tricks that should work on new rubber like using a rope to get it over the lip will just tear up 71 year old rubber.

If it actually goes well I may need to try some of that GFS on my Clipper back glass rubber. Though for the effort it takes to R&R a window, I almost might as well buy new rubber for about $300.

Posted on: 4/1 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I had our glass company remove my old windshield, then I cleaned up the frame and painted it and then took it back to them to install the new to me windshield. They thought I brought them a new gasket! I cleaned the gasket, then I'd warm it up and treat it with gummi pflege. I did that a few times over a few days and it was considerably softer after.

They had no trouble with the old gasket and used the rope trick to install it. I think my car has spent most of it's life inside, so the rubber, although old, is in good condition.

Posted on: 4/1 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I should have bought stock in the company with you all using it after my recommendation!

Posted on: 4/1 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Best stuff ever! It actually works!!! Even though you missed out on getting rich, you can take comfort knowing you've help all of us restore our cars.

Posted on: 4/1 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ok. Gotta try it now...

Posted on: 4/1 15:16
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's helped me too when I found out about it on a VW EOS forum trying to stop a top leak. It did the trick right away. The EOS was a retractable hardtop with full sunroof - the only car like that.

Posted on: 4/1 15:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved