Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rear Window-2672
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
As to the hard rubber I've tried almost everything (talcum, glycerin, diesel, soft soap, hot water, ...). Hot water works but only short. The same goes for a rubber mallet. It works but the effect is too brief to be useful. Soap is necessary. Summer and sunshine help and one or another friend.
I know that's not much consolation, but the stubborn battle between man and rubber shapes the character.

-> Video on how to properly install car windows.

Posted on: 4/1 17:56
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
That's a good video, soap and the rope trick should make the rear window fairly doable. Helps that it's 3 pieces, and that I have a 6' wing span!

Taking it out wasn't a problem at all!

Click to see original Image in a new window

All cleaned up and treated. I'll let it dry overnight and paint it tomorrow.

Posted on: 4/2 0:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Getting ready to reinstall my rear window on my 53 Cavlaier, and looking for your thoughts. The little clips at the bottom of the dividers, for the little chrome caps, do not hook into the body like the other "similar" clips. It seems like they are supposed to, but the holes are not lined up to allow them to hook in.

The other clips are not evenly spaced, which is a bit suspicious, but it didn't matter as they just put the trim bolts where the clips were. But, the dividers are fixed positions, so they kinda smushed these clips into place.

Both of the little chrome caps didn't sit quite right, but the passenger side was quite wonky. I'm hoping to be able to correct this. Maybe they are sitting too high and not pulling down and in? Or, maybe it's just that the ends of the belt molding are not in and aligned correctly. Maybe the clip not being locked into the body doesn't provide a solid place for the bolt to pull against?

I figure I could drill little holes in the body that line up and try hooking those clips into the body like the other clips. Or, I could put them back the way they were and see if I can get things to line up. Or, I could use a little rectangular plate that doesn't have and hooks, like the windshield uses, and see if the chrome caps will just pull down into place.

Have you had any experience with this? Do you know how it's supposed to be? What are your thoughts? What would you do/try?

Posted on: 4/4 1:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Rear window done!

Rope with soap and it went back in no problem. I was working by myself so I installed the three pieces individually.

I redrilled the holes for the little clips at the bottom of the dividers so they were correct and hold the little chrome caps straight.

All sealed up and will be good for another 71 years! I'm going to check it for leaks before putting interior back in.

Posted on: 4/8 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's a good job and one I wouldn't want to tackle myself!

Posted on: 4/8 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
That's a good job and one I wouldn't want to tackle myself!

It's not a hard removing and installing the 3 piece rear window. Slowly and carefully is the key, like all projects should be on a vintage car! IMHO

Posted on: 4/8 12:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved