Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

Todd W. White, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 356 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have been working on a 1947 356 engine. It was supposed to be rebuilt years ago then it sat for 20 years. I noticed the tube that comes off the intake is blocked off. If i remember correctly it should not be blocked off. Please let me know which way is correct.

Attach file:

jpeg  AA60CF1B-04F7-4680-8840-642E420DF813.jpeg (3,035.38 KB)
3379_6623e2b392764.jpeg 4032X3024 px

jpeg  EC698B10-7A94-4320-8421-10191E88C1BA.jpeg (3,508.67 KB)
3379_6623e2c814fc9.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 4/20 10:44
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 356 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I do not have that engine, but a tube in that area is usually used for a vacuum tap to run a wiper motor or a reservoir tank for a brake booster etc., could that be it? The vacuum line for the distributor advance usually comes out of the carburetor, but that may be another use too, but the angle of the line suggests it is heading down and into the cab's firewall area to a wiper motor line hook-up. The plug on the end is definitely aftermarket and being used to shut off the line to avoid a leak into the manifold that would cause poor engine performance. Does your car now have an electric wiper motor? This would result in the line being an unnecessary adjunct.
If that is the case, I suggest removing the line completely and threading in a brass pipe threaded plug into the manifold, a much better seal for the engine, and set the line on the shelf in a labelled bag if the next owner wants to replace the wiper motor back to vacuum.
Bob J.

Posted on: 4/20 10:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 356 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the item on your first photo is a check valve and if I am correct, from the second photo I think it is an improper installation of a drain which was added in 48 and was retrofittable to earlier 356 engines. The drain would have a check valve assembly on the end of the tube which closes as soon as vacuum is present but will open when the engine is stopped so any condensed fuel sitting in the bottom of the intake manifold can drain out. That item is detailed on page 36 in a service counselor article. In that photo the check valve looks a bit different in shape than what I think is what you have in your first photo.

On a Clipper thru 47 the wipers were electric so no dual action fuel pump. The usual vacuum routing is not present so on the top of the intake manifold toward the rear is a plugged port which is available if needed for vacuum accessories such as the vacuum antenna or windshield washer. In the middle in the square manifold section under the carb is a larger plugged port used if the car has the Electromatic clutch. I think someone used that port for the drain which means the drain would not work as intended. On 356 engines used in models with vacuum wipers a port on the front top similar to the one at the rear went to the fuel pump vacuum section and then on to the wipers and accessories. The middle port still went to the Electromatic but some models also had the vacuum to the fuel pump originate there instead of at the front top port.

Posted on: 4/20 11:32
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved