Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1935 1202 sedan engine rebuild
Just popping in
Just popping in

J-Dreamer
See User information
Looking at buying a 35 Packard that will need the engine gone through, owner says it has a rap noise in it and needs to be gone through with a rebuild. We can all imagine anything from a wrist pin noise to a bearing failure. My question is, any members that rebuild short blocks, or recommendations to machine shops that can handle the crankshaft grinding-if required, and the piston rod modification to handle bearing inserts. Also, recommendations for the rod bearing manufactures.
I'm getting to old to do this kind of work, but have other projects, but want to save this Packard from someone inserting a newer engine replacement. Plus, I like the old gal to drive around town. The engine should be a 320,hopefully attached pictures will insert. I like the 1935-1937 era and still would persue a super eight to tweleve in those years, especially the limos,
Thank-you, Joe
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_1024.jpeg (2,245.57 KB)
80120_6623e8e49fd03.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 4/20 11:08
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935 1202 sedan engine rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The noise could be a stuck valve or broken valve spring. (Or a number of other issues, including, but not limited to: a loose motor mount, dented oil pan or clutch cover, heavy carbon deposits, an issue with the clutch pressure plate, crankshaft rod or main bearing issues, cracked piston, flat cam, and more)
That engine may already be equipped with insert bearings, and an in-chassis overhaul may be possible if the crankshaft is within spec. If the engine is currently in running condition, having an experienced mechanic observe the engine while it's running could give a much clearer picture of its condition and prognosis.

Posted on: 4/20 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
And pulling the lifter area covers, and observing it while running may tell you a lot.

A great running engine that I bought for $500 turned out to be a parts engine once I pulled the side covers and found massive amounts of hardened sludge, for example.

Posted on: 4/20 16:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

J-Dreamer
See User information
I'm going to talk to the owner this week, get a better handle on this rap sound, for all the time, interment, or upon acceleration or deacceleration, i will post further information, Thank-you for all your advice and suggestions, it helps a lot for items you may not be thinking when examining this situation. joe

Posted on: 4/20 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
With the engine running at idle and warmed up, pulling one spark plug wire at a time may isolate the noise to one cylinder. Pulling the plug wire on a cylinder with a loose rod, wrist pin, or collapsed piston skirt will usually change the "rapping" sound. A persistent miss at one cylinder could point to a stuck valve or broken valve spring.

Posted on: 4/20 21:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

J-Dreamer
See User information
Home away from Home; Good advice for diagnostics, Thank-you

Posted on: 4/21 10:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Aiden
See User information
I have a 1935 like yours. It had a rap type of noise. It turned out to be the valve cam roller that was defective. Changed one of the rollers ,and noise went away. Bob

Posted on: 4/21 18:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Digger Dave
See User information
I have a few thoughts and cannot confirm that my car is all original, but the coil is different and mounted to the side of the water jacket cover. I'd love comment on whether that's original or not. This car may be original on this point. My coil is a round, later model unit, and is atop the engine next to the distributer. The upper water neck is pointed straight up, vs mine is pointed at the radiator. Lastly, older motors tend to leak, but an oily or wet area above the valve adjustment covers are concerning. Check to find out if it's using water. a cracked cylinder block can be expensive to find and replace.

Also a warm oil sample will tell you a lot.

What area are you? I have done my 35' 1202 engine at a shop in Campbell, CA.

Posted on: 4/22 11:01
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

J-Dreamer
See User information
Thank-you for all the replies, I will be focusing on looking for another 1934-1937 Packard. The present owner will not budge on the price of 20K, and besides the engine work that it will require in addition to paint interior and chrome. I will look around what else might come for sale. I also found 2 shops that would grind and polish the crank if I needed that service, around 800.00. That is also being rebalanced. I have the ability myself to tear it down and re-assemble, but if the owner won't reduce the price, there is probably a better venture out there.
Thank-you all again for your comments and help, and yes, I live in Michigan.

Posted on: 4/22 14:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Digger Dave
See User information
Pricing is unfortunately way out of wack.

If it were a 2-seat roadster, Phaeton, 4dr all-weather convertible, maybe it would be worth 15k in my opinion. Knowing you'll spend, Paint 25K, upholstery 20K, engine 20K, misc. tires, wiring, chroming 20K, all for a 60K car. which by the way is a declining market. His heirs will think it's worth 20K also. It's all unfortunate.

Posted on: 4/22 14:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved