Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carb Bowl 54 327 Thunderbolt 327
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Easy question for you guys. I took the air filter and carb bowl off to clean before painting and I used easy off oven cleaner to get the grease off. (it was nasty but I got the kitchen sink cleaned out afterwards in time to save a Memorial Day Domestic Disaster. Anyway, I looked in the bowl and it said something about "oil level u". Do I have to do anything special after I paint the bowl before putting it back over the carb? I painted the air filter with Black Rustoleum and it looks great and I'm hoping the bowl will too. Do I have to add oil to it? I'm don't know what the "oil fil u" line means See the pic - thanks Frank

Attach file:

jpg  (116.11 KB)
1341_4a1ad8d296cc1.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2009/5/25 12:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Carb Bowl 54 327 Thunderbolt 327
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's an oil bath air filter, and the line is the level you fill to with oil, usually SAE 30wt.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thank You - Easy enough - I appreciate everyone's patience with basic questions like this one. When I took it off, there was hardly any oil in the pan (about a table spoon) - Frank

Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I thought oil bath filters took 50 wt oil? That's what Chrysler calls for anyway. I'm too lazy to look up the Packard spec.

While you are servicing the filter you should wash out the filter element. Soak it in a pan of Varsol or cleaning solvent swish it around then let it drip dry. Do not blow air into it.

Before assembling the filter pour a little oil into the element. The excess will drain into the reservoir.

Once every year or 2 at tune up time you can rinse out the filter and re oil it and top up the reservoir. The reservoir does not need to be cleaned out until it has a half inch of "mud" in it. This can take years.

On the other hand in very dusty conditions the factory recommends servicing the filter daily but you are never going to run into service that severe unless you drive through a dust storm.

These filters are made to last the life of the car.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Owners manual says SAE 50 weight summer, SAE 20 weight winter. FWIW, I use 30 weight year-round.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
If I accelerate or stop too quickly, some oil comes out of the bath and into the carb. Big puff of smoke out the tailpipe. I don't fill up to the line anyway, slightly less. Heavier weight oil is needed?

Posted on: 2009/5/27 23:14
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved