Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 137

Oldcaddies , DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pinion Seal Replacement
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
Hi,
The rear end of my transmission on my 56 Patrician is dripping ATF. I got a pinion seal, and removed the drive shaft. To my surprise, it seems that my universal joint flange bolt is completely missing. So now I have two questions.

1) What size bolt do I need?
2) How do I separate the flange from the rest of the transmission, so that I can install the new pinion seal?

Thanks!

John

Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  pinion.jpg (143.24 KB)
225379_662c488483432.jpg 876X812 px

Posted on: 4/26 19:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Pinion Seal Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is a 3/8-24 bolt, about 1 1/2 long if I recall.

Take a 3/8 diameter punch, stick it into the heavy washer and use it as a lever to flip that washer out of its recess. Then you will need a 2 or 3 armed puller to pull the flange off. Screw your nice new 3/8 bolt into the shaft to keep the threads from being damaged as you horse the thing off.

You will discover that the original seal will have a death grip on the housing, and you may need to heat the end of the housing with a small torch to get it out.

Normally I remove the entire tailshaft assy and do the job on the bench as the frame is way too much in the way.

Posted on: 4/26 20:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Pinion Seal Replacement
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
Thanks Ross!

The punch definitely helped get the washer out (good suggestion). The washer was really tight, but surprisingly, the seal came out easily. I was able to pick up the right bolt, and put things back together today.

Thanks again,
John

Posted on: 4/27 11:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved