Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 86

Larry Reber, RCJ56, PackardSanta, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission with r-9 overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I got a used transmission with r-9 overdrive. The guy I bought it from said he didnt know anything about it. Before I install it i wanted to check it out as much as possible. I know about the collar that comes loose on the main shaft and makes the 1 gear flop around so i will take the top off and check that. I was wondering if i turn the output shaft with my hand and pull out on the pawl for the overdrive if that would tell me anything or is there a better way to check it.

Posted on: 4/28 15:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission with r-9 overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You might be able to get some "feel" for it by turning the input shaft by hand and running it through the gears but that will tell you nothing about the syncro condition, the oil in it or anything else. Better at the very least to take off the top cover for a visual inspection and plan on replacing all the seals at the same time.

Before taking off the top cover, be sure to have a new gasket as you'll need one and they are available through Olson's Gaskets. Ask them directly as I doubt it's listed on their site (few sites keep their online listing up to date) but I know for a fact that they have it. Most of their transmission gaskets are made by Best but Best sells only through authorized dealers although they have a few that they make themselves and their work is excellent, as is their delivery time.

Posted on: 4/28 15:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved