Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch wear test
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I seems to me that there is a simple method to test for clutch wear. It involved moving the car up to an unmovable object, a utility pole for example, and determining whether the car continues to car or not. Anybody know of this test? I can’t find it on the Forum. My clutch seems to chatter more often now. I don’t know if the clutch is worn or if it’s just me.

Posted on: 5/3 7:48
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch wear test
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The test for clutch chatter is whether it chatters or not. It should not, period. If it does, there is a problem. The clutch should engage smoothly and predictably with no grabbing, lurching or chatter.

Clutch chatter can be caused by several problems, including oil on the clutch disc, motor mount problems, linkage problems, a worn, missing, or improperly adjusted anti-chatter damper device, or binding in U joints or in the slip yoke. In some cases, problems with rear springs can cause clutch chatter, and throttle linkage problems can cause clutch chatter.

The commonest clutch chatter cause is wear or bad adjustment in the anti-chatter damper device at the rear of the transmission, and/or a loose or broken motor mount.

Note that many cars have some leakage of oil at the rear main bearing and yet do not have clutch problems, so don't assume some oil dripping from around the engine is necessarily the problem. The shop manuals and perhaps some of the service letters have information on the damper device and on diagnosing various clutch problems.

Posted on: 5/3 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Clutch slippage is a different issue, and is usually evident without any tests.

Posted on: 5/3 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Thank you all for your comments. I may have a problem with motor mounts as I found one of those rubber blocks under the car.
I’ll keep an eye on it. I really appreciate your advice.

Posted on: 5/5 7:47
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved