Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 252

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Idiot's First Packard: 51' 200 Ultramatic Coupe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
Got the car in late last night, currently trying to figure out what shape it's in.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/8 10:21
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Re: Idiot's First Packard: 51' 200 Ultramatic Coupe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
Engine has oil and isn't seized so got that going for me, appears to be original wiring so if I can get 6v power to it to see if it turns over I will need to look closer at replacing the harness...

Posted on: 6/8 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Group 2 6v battery. Don’t forget - it’s positive ground so the negative wire goes to the starter relay post.

Posted on: 6/8 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That's a very solid looking car. Engine color may be wrong... the engine may have been rebuilt. I would check the fuel system for varnish and stale gas before trying to crank the car. Also check the brake fluid before stepping on the brake pedal. If the fluid is low, add fluid and then try the brakes the next day. Be sure the cooling system is full of coolant before trying to start the engine. Starting it with low coolant or no coolant will destroy the water pump seal.

I would oil and grease every item on the car that needs lubrication, including all chassis and all body parts, such as hood hinges, door hinges and latches, trunk hinges and latch, generator, starter, carb linkage, shift linkage, pedal pivots, and so forth. Once you are sure the fuel system is free of old gasoline, adding 5 gallons of fresh gasoline with 6 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil and half a pint of B-12 Chemtool is a good idea. Check for fuel leaks, too.

Posted on: 6/8 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Both the engine and body color are "wrong", just FYI. But it looks good.

Choco, grab the owner manual and especially service and parts manuals in the literature archive on the side.

Posted on: 6/8 13:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t speak for the paint color for 1951 but I had a nearly identically color 1953 Clipper Deluxe of which I was the third owner, the second being a gas station that used it as a loner and push car. The father of the current PAC president, who himself was a former president, had driven it back in the day and he also rode in it with me during my ownership. As I understand it, even Howard had stored it for a time after I sold it. It had a ‘60s repaint but underneath was the same color. I also had a 1953 Patrician the same color but with a white top although that was not its original color.

Posted on: 6/8 18:59
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
Looking for the manuals is how I found the Forums! What I got figured out today:
got a group 2 6v battery and hooked up with a positive ground - i got lights and it turned over the once i let it.
drained and filled the radiator first, haven't looked at brakes or fuel lines yet, emergency brake works good though.

anyone know the best way to get a inline fuel filter from the fuel pump to the carb? even if the tank is decent i'm sure those old lines will have lots of lovely things in them.

Posted on: 6/8 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Nice, me too.

There should be a flex line running TO the fuel pump already, so maybe you can squeeze one in there.

Or for the time being, just get a bunch of flex line and two fittings. Pretty sure it's 5/16 NPT but disconnect the line and take it with you to the store. And connect a barbed filter in line.

Later you can make your own hard fuel line with an inline filter hard plumbed if you want. Though if you actually clean out the tank and lines sometime, a filter won't be necessary, as the fuel pump and/or carb should have a filter screen.

Posted on: 6/8 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The optional filter was at the carburetor’s inlet and required no modifications to the car’s fuel lines. These were made by AC and are still available. Don’t even try to fire over the engine without replacing the gasoline or you may have serious issues if what’s in it is bad and you run it that way.

Posted on: 6/9 2:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Good point. I would buy a boat tank (check FB Marketplace first) and run it off that. Then you eliminate the concerns of a leaky tank or lines, bad gas, dirty gas, and a tired fuel pump.

Though you'll need a spare 12V battery to run it off. If you have a 12V charger, grab a used battery from a mechanic shop for next to nothing. It will run a fuel pump for a long time still. I'm using a battery from 2015 to hook up to my project car to give it power and test the electrical systems, works great.

Posted on: 6/9 8:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved