Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 212

kevinpackard, 29- 640 Club Sedan, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

r-9 overdrive question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I was driving on back roads. I never had the overdrive cable pulled out but i noticed the areo drive light on the dash flickering around 28 and the light would come on around 30mph. is this normal?

Posted on: Today 12:49
 Top  Print   

Re: r-9 overdrive question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the knob is pulled out and lockout switch is working it will be open and the relay will not energize so light should never come on but if the knob is pushed in the light will come on when the governor reaches whatever speed it is set for and closes its contacts. The light is to tell you overdrive is active, solenoid is prepped and OD can be engaged by lifting your foot off the accelerator for a moment.

Click to see original Image in a new window

The light should not flicker though so there could be a bad connection or some dirty contacts in the solenoid, relay, or one of the switches in series from the governor. A more common issue is the lockout switch could have a worn plunger end and is not being pushed up far enough when the knob is pushed in for a solid switch engagement. Vibration could be causing the flicker because the switch is on the edge between closing and opening.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved