Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Batteries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since the battery is so visible, I may try an Optima enclosed in a Group 60 look-alike case next time for my 56 Caribbean. I've only heard of one problem with an Optima, it "exploded" and it and all the resultant damage was paid for by Optima without any squabble.

Note however than Interstate and others offer commercial batteries that are much closer in dimensions to the Group 60 than the Group 27. A spritz of semi-gloss black paint over the white/green and it will do for a number of years yet.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 13:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

Oops, I didn't have my notes handy and had specified the incorrect Group number for the replacement battery in my previous post. It is a Group 29 that is a close fit and is now published in battery catalogs in place of the old Group 60. I have since edited that post, but there's more to the story.

A few years ago, I did purchase a Group 27 battery that seemed close enough to fit the factory holddown (perhaps with a minor little modification, IIRC), but it provided to be too wide (left-to-right, as installed) to fit down in the tray.

Now, here are some notes I have on battery size:

Group60 = 13-1/16"L x 6-5/16"W x 8-7/8"H (OE)

Group27 = 12-1/16"L x 6-13/16"W x 8-7/8"H (too wide for tray)

Group29 = 13"L x 5-1/2"W x 8-15/16"H (a bit skinny, but will do)

I found that some sizes, as reported by the BCI, vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer, but any other battery that is close to 13" long has been too wide to fit the tray.

Meanwhile, did someone finally make a faux case in a Group 60 size or are you simply gutting an old one to accomodate an Optima battery?

Posted on: 2009/6/3 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Right you are, Grp 27 is just a bit too wide for the tray. Don't know if Interstate still makes a Grp 63, but that's what I currently have, it's a hair higher but still clears the hood pad, and about 1/2 inch shorter in length.

Yes, someone is commercially offering an Optima in a faux Grp 60 case, I can get the specifics if you want them as I have a friend who just bought a pair of them.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 16:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Friend Chris is running a grp 27 battery in his Caribbean. You have to shave off the lower fringe where newer clamps hold the battery down and if so it just fits in the case. He said Napa's grp 27 was slightly narrower than others.
(reporting from the northern fringe of the country)

Posted on: 2009/6/3 18:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

You wrote:

Quote:
...someone is commercially offering an Optima in a faux Grp 60 case, I can get the specifics if you want ...

By all means, feel free to post specifics about that offering here. After all, this is an open-minded site, and I'm sure other V8 owners would love to know.

We had kicked around that very idea of making a faux case to house an Optima years ago at another forum-past, but I didn't have the time or money to pursue it. If someone else saw that discussion and picked up the ball and ran with it, I'm glad.

Getting back to alternate batteries, I'd seen some '55-'56 cars with a Group 24 installed, but the lip of the tray had bent, beaten, or cut to accomodate the extra width of that battery. I don't wanna have to do that - have already restored a couple of trays molested like that. Also, at 10-1/4" long the Group 24 is substantially shorter than the Group 60, and those cars were either fitted with an alernate holddown or the existing one was altered to fit (often by simply adding some sort of filler). While Group 63 is sufficiently narrow to fit the tray, it looks to be as short as the 24.

For the benefit of all here is a link to an online BCI size chart.

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

Posted on: 2009/6/4 8:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks for the addit'l tip Randy. If there's any life left in that old Group 27, I might just try that and transfer it from car to car to move them around.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By all means, feel free to post specifics about that offering here. After all, this is an open-minded site, and I'm sure other V8 owners would love to know.

OK, it's sold by Antique Auto Battery in Ohio and is a faux Group 60 case with an internal battery of Optima technology but not Optima by manufacture. My friend has bought 2 for his V8 Packards; cost is about $260. For that kind of price I think I'll be sticking with Interstates and a can of black spray paint, but if appearance is important and worth the $, that's the alternative.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 8:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks. It is pricey, but probably more reliable than the lead-acid repros - best suited for show use.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
should mention that there was no battery holddown in the 56. I found one in the 55 (i dont know if its the packard one or if its only 2 years old) but the optima is too fat and too short(in length).

Posted on: 2009/6/4 14:36
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved