Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

Bob J, Twinsix, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Anyone ever rebuild a water pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Been said many times before, probably stands restating: if you have a good core of anything requiring rebuilding, it's often safer to have your own core rebuilt than risk getting an exchange rebuild which may have started with a a core requiring repair, or one that was marginal or otherwise not up to the quality of the one you have in hand.

Not to say that there aren't lots of top-notch rebuilders out there who do business on an exchange basis.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I must say that the water pump I bought from Kanter doesn't have any casting numbers on it, is obviously a repo, but doesn't leak or make any noise whatsoever. I am of the opinion that it's a good pump, and highly recommend buying one of their's. Another nice thing is, you don't have to send the old one in on the '50 and back versions. (at least, can't say about the later ones.)

Posted on: 2009/7/22 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
When I bought my Packard 2 years ago, the waterpump needed replacing. I bought a pump from Kanters, not knowing any other sources. I think I had about $150-160 with s&H by the time I put it on my Clipper. It has run for 5000 miles w/o leaks or incident.

I kept the old core and found a rebuild kit on eBay that cost about $40 (incl s&h). My mechanic (who has done extensive service work on my car) used his press to remove the old bearing and press in the new one.

I now carry my old pump as a spare. I set it next to my spare fuel pump. They both make me smile better as I drive the 41 down the road.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/7/22 9:37
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I now carry my old pump as a spare. I set it next to my spare fuel pump.

Perhaps we've done it before, but some newer members who are considering touring considerable distances might benefit from a suggested list of spares and special tools. New topic so I'll start a new thread with my own thoughts on it.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 10:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved