Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What oil do you use in your V8 Packard?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I've only had a few oil changes on my 56 Patrician, but the first few I used 10w-30 and had loud consistant lifter clatter, with the addition of bardhals istead o lead (recoomended to me on this forum and probably spelled incorrectly) lowered my lifter noise. However since then I've used strait 30 with Lucas oil stabilizer and the instead o lead and the only lifter noise I get is on hills.

I have not dropped my oil pan since I've owned the car, but I'm sure my oil flow problem is due to not cleaning or replacing the oil strainer.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 15:18
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Brandon wrote:
Quote:
I have not dropped my oil pan since I've owned the car, but I'm sure my oil flow problem is due to not cleaning or replacing the oil strainer.

<p>I'm sure it is not. Lifter clatter is due to low oil pressure which is due to a worn out oil pump. The only 100% sure solution is to replace the Packard pump with an Olds 455 oil pump using the adapter kit developed by Eric (Turbopackman), Keith (PackardV8), Kevin (KevinAZ) and myself. This kit can now be obtained from Jack Vines, who has taken over production.</p><p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/10/22 15:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Bowman Davis wrote:
Quote:
?, If you convert to Melling/Olds pump, don't you forfeit the vac pump as backup to manifold vac? And what is cost of converting.

<p>Yes, the vacuum pump on the bottom of Packard oil pump is also removed and eliminated. You should convert to electric wipers.</p>
<p>Contact Jack Vines for a current price.</p>
<p>Sorry, I didn't respond earlier, but I missed your post the first time.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/10/22 15:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Hello Everyone,
It's been awhile since I've posted to this NG, but I still lurk from time to time. Working 50+ hours per week nowdays, I don't get much time for anything.

I have used Mobil 1, 15W50 now for about ten years and 80,000 miles in one 352 engine, and six years and 40,000 in another 352 (both engines in 1956 Stude Golden Hawks). I also change the oil and filter every 10,000 miles.

When I pulled the oil pan on the first car to install a Melling oil pump after around 75,000 miles, I removed the main-caps and checked to see how the MBs were wearing. They all looked like they had maybe 5,000 miles on them. Just about every Packard V8 I have torn down (maybe a dozen) had the lower center main worn into the bronze, and similar wear on #2 and 4.

I am convinced the oil zinc hype is not an issue, at least on my cars.

Joe Hall

Oh, by the way, I LOVE the Melling pump!!!

Posted on: 2009/10/31 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For those that have access to the February 2010 Studebaker Drivers Club magazine Turning Wheels, there is an interesting picture and comment in the Co-Operator section about lack of enough ZDDP in the oil used in a brand new Ford 429/460 rebuild. The cam and flat bottom lifter shown have some severe damage and claim is bearings and journals also show damage. This was after only 20 minutes of "proper run-in time" and will require a complete rebuild again due to "metal fouling the oiling system".

I don't pretend to be very knowledgeable in either engine wear or oil but does this seem realistic? Apparently the Valvoline VR1 racing oil (and others) is said to have the correct amount of the stuff but the article doesn't mention what that is to be on the lookout for.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i posed the zinc question to the Shell rep who comes to the garage where i work, and he told me that Chevron Delo has the highest concentration of zinc, even more than Rotella. The Cummins diesels i run have flat tappets and mechanical lifters, so i plan to switch to delo and see how it works.

I have been running a 20w-40 in the PV8 which has kept the engine happy and lifter noise free, but i may switch to delo 15w40 next time.

I tried running 10w-30 last summer as an experiment, but it seemed to thin out too much, and the lifters started to tick.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 23:05
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Classic Car Motor Oil, 15W-40, sold through Indiana Region of the Classic Car Club of America, made by DA Lubricant Company, and sold by the case.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/30 11:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi. Don't know the availability for specialized oils in your area. I use 30w Rotella in my '53. I tried a couple of other "newer" types of oil and got all sorts of rotten results. Lifter knock, oil burn, oil consumption (my engine was eating up about a quart every 50 miles!). Put in the Rotella and everything got better. Rotella is usually available at most part stores. I can even buy it sometimes at Wal-Mart!

Posted on: 2010/1/30 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I too use diesel 15w40 in my old cars, anything that doesn't have roller lifters...usually Valvoline Blue or Rotella, I can get both at Auto Zone. Valvoline is available in both Synthetic and Dino, but I use the latter.

The best info I've seen anywhere on oil and additives is on "Bob is The Oil Guy" aka BITOGhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Great site.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 16:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved