Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Use or Abuse?
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Good evening all,

I am prompted to write this as a result of a 'dressing down' I got for using my Packard regularly and indeed using it in my line of business.

The answer to that person is that no, I will not stop using my Packard; I do believe it is my duty to share such a wonderful car with as many people as possible. Even if I not do this for a living I would do it for free!

It is only by using a car that you can hope to know it. Every creak, groan, or whatever, just serves to remind me that this car was built by people who, perhaps, simuarly creaked and groaned while building it.

Leaving a car sitting in a garage, you could never hope to know its little foibles or those things that make you smile, like the blast of the twin horns, roaring their way through the decades and declaring that yes, this car is very much alive and kicking!

A car is meant to be used, some turn their noses up at me for 'abusing' such an old car, can they tell me that having a car and not using it for what it was intended for is not abuse?

To see the stunned and delighted faces on Brides when I whoosh up their driveways in my Packard makes me quickly forget the long hours and tons of cash I have invested in it.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is the drive on the back roads of Connemara listening to the great Tenor, Count John McCormack and his crackly recordings from the early 1900's, (yes, I have fitted a discreet CD player, funny thing is while it is a sophisticated, modern piece of equipment it is also prone to freeze, skip and jump, quite unreliable, unlike to vehicle it is carried in!). This pleasure allows me to try to back in time to when this car was fresh from the dealer. What did the first owner do for a living, were they beaming with pride with their new car, were their neighbours green with envy! I also think about the people who built this wondrous vehicle. Do you suppose they would prefer to see it in sterile storage or out on the road, proudly demonstrating the quality and workmanship that they invested in it all those years ago?

I will keep using my Packard as long as possible, summer, winter, rain or snow.

Damm the begrudgers, the nere-do-wells, the know-it-alls and the apocalyptic pronouncements, I have history on my side and the unspoken support of the legions of Packard workers who built these cars to keep me and my Packard going for many years to come!

Yours truly,

Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep.of Ireland.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.54 KB)
1195_4a415a68ba244.jpg 600X400 px

Posted on: 2009/6/23 17:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Use or Abuse?
Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Good for you, Irish Packard! Just went to a wedding myself (a wedding for someone else) and the vehicle for the bride and groom was an old classic Bentley. Would personally have preferred a classic Packard like yours but have to admit that even the old Bentley did add a touch of class! What's the use in having them if you can't enjoy them and use them for the enjoyment of others?
kens53clip
Ken Dunning

Posted on: 2009/6/23 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Pat,

Very well put. More power to you !

Posted on: 2009/6/23 18:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Very well put !
It's not a statue, drive it ! It was built for that purpose !
RT

Posted on: 2009/6/23 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Irish, it sounds to me like you've given and continue to give your Packard lots of live and care, so that's "use", not abuse, so by all means keep it up, I applaud it! And you're a John McCormack fan to boot - all the better!

Posted on: 2009/6/23 19:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Irish Packard, Well said! Irish brides,Go mbeanna? Dia dhuit, deserve the best ride available in the world so keep up the fine work and enjoy driving your Packard. I've been a fan of John McCormack for about 50 years and have a few of his original RCA Victor Red Seal 78rpm recordings. Couple those with a glass of Bushmill's fine Irish whiskey and I am in heaven....aah

"Kathleen, mavourneen, the grey dawn is breaking,
The horn of the hunter is heard on the hill.
The lark from her light wing the bright dew is shaking,
Kathleen, mavourneen, what! Slumbering still?"

Posted on: 2009/6/23 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
DRIVE the car!!!! Add whatever accessories to it u want to. Make any changes or mods needed to fit your needs. It's YOUR car. Drive it!. That's what i do. Share your tech discoveries about the car and adventures in it.

There will always be nay sayers. So what! THis web site is for sharing information of any kind about the Packards. Noone has to follow nor lead the information. No one has to be nice about it or they can be.

It's a discussion group. NOT a sunday school class.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 21:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I am glad to see you keeping your Packard on the road and if you share the joy of the Packard ride with a younger generation all the better. And to get paid to boot!
And keep posting - I enjoy a bit of blarney.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WHAT is that laying on top of the bamboo basket on the back of the car???? I've never seen a weaved type trunk like that on a car.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 21:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ask the man who owns one?????
I prefer:
Ask the few men that dare to be different.
Drive the car!

Posted on: 2009/6/23 21:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved