Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

acolds, Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Add AC to '53 {288 ci}
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I suspect an original 2 groove AC crank pulley will be very hard to come by and pricy to boot if that's what you're looking for. Think you would have more luck making the Ford adaption Turbopackman has mentioned. If you mean just 2 grooves (fan & PS) then those should be fairly plentiful from some of the used vendors, Dan Yocum or David Moe for example..

Posted on: 2009/6/29 19:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does you 288 have power steering? If not then all you need is the bolt on power steering add-on pulley. It just bolts to the existing damper pulley.

From my Project Blog

Click to see original Image in a new window

The '53/'54 AC pulley was a bolt on also, just has two grooves instead on the one in the PS pulley. Those are basically unobtainable. You have a better change of winning the lottery than finding one.

But you only need that one if you have Power Steering so you can drive the PS pump, and the A/C compress.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Stephen. The Icyball system is just a pipe dream i have. I already have AC on my car. So now i'm dreaming of something completely different not yet attempted in automobiles.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I wonder if you can run a dual p/s pulley setup on these like I did with the V8 Packards? From your pics it looks like it's highly possible.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Maybe. I would think that the center crank bolt may need to be a bit longer if you start to stack any more pulleys on.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
How many do you want? I had to buy a bag of 5 of them when I needed one for the Patrician, and they fit the straight eights.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stephenmajors
See User information
Thanks for the pictures. The problem that I experience with a bolt on pulley in front of the balancer is the outside belt will contact with the fan blade unless you move the fan and hub out toward the front extreme of the water pump shaft as you have shown. I would like to do this but the fan is only 3/8 inch from the radiator now. I have located a double pulley/balancer from Kanter but not the water pump pulley. The water pump pulley now has a wide belt(off a '48, I think) and the new double pulleys are smaller in width. I am a difficult case. Thanks again, please don't give up on me. Steve

Posted on: 2009/6/30 20:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stephenmajors
See User information
Thanks for your suggestions. Steve

Posted on: 2009/6/30 20:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stephenmajors
See User information
I need only one of the double pulleys/balancer and I also need the water pump pulley. Please contact me at: stephenmajors@embarqmail.com or 407-947-9831 with cost and I will be very greatful to get this from you! Thanks, Steve

Posted on: 2009/6/30 20:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I expect the double water pump pulley may also be a bit tough as I think it was only used on AC cars in 53-4. If you mounted the compressor on right side, Is there enough clearance to do the double groove or bolt on PS crank pulley and use a back idler to depress the compressor belt below the fan pulley. If there is you could use the single narrow groove from a 51-4.

If that wouldn't work, maybe a machinist could fabricate a water pump pulley keeping the wide belt for fan but a narrower AC groove than the one shown in this post to drive the compressorhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=20067#forumpost20067 as was used on the original pre war AC cars. If you only have 3/8 clearance, just about anything may be an issue.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 21:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved