Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

ultramatic issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Last weekend, i was coming home from a car show and, well rather enjoying stretching the ole' 374s legs a little. Everything was fine untill i got about a mile from home. i turned onto a tight back road which necessitated a shift down to high range from converter (i was driving in H, like i always do). the downshift was fine, but upon re acceleration, the trans would not shift back into direct. I continued home as i was only 200 yards or so from my house. I parked in the driveway, let her idle for 20 seconds or so and shut it off. looking underneath, i noticed that sheed puked up a bit of tranny fluid.

As i had more pressing things to do, she stayed parked untill today. i got underneath today, and i believe the fluid came from the left (drivers side) near the top. It is coming out of a bent and battered piece of metal line screwed into a 90 degree fitting that is in turn screwed into the case.

My service manual doesnt give any CLEAR indication what should be there, but it looks like it could have been a vent.

I cleaned everything up and replaced the ounce or so of fluid that was lost. I then wen for a nice drive, during which the same problems occured. It acted fine cold, then stopped going into direct after a hot, post highway downshift. The temperature for both runs was above 80 fahrenheit.
sorry for the long post, but i have no idea about ultramatic stuff.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:23
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Re: ultramatic issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
a long test ride this evening, with the temperature at a much more tolerable 68 showed no isuues with shifting or fluid loss.

Im starting to think the tranny cooler is plugged??

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:41
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Its possible. Also make sure there are no places where the steel coolant lines have become kinked or pinched. May also be a good time to drop the tranny pan and clean out the filter screen.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
that is where the vent is

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Need to download BH's technical bulletin index that he so generously developed for us. Look in there for an STB or SC discussing re-lo of the T'Ultra breather to the top of the tail shaft housing. It's alot of work to do tho.

How fast were u running the car??????

I don't think the shift problem is related to the oil puking from the breather. Most likely due to a restricted oil filter. The oil filter can be removed and cleaned and reinstalled.

Go from there. Let us know.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if the fluid is coming from breather. The earlier units had the breather on top but if this is where you suspect it came from (two V8 versions shown) then means it foamed or got very hot and thin fluid leaks past worn bushings easier which is probably why no DD..

I would also second the checking of cooler and also suggest adding an additional modern air cooled unit. It's possible something is amiss causing excess heat but simple things first.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.33 KB)
209_4a457d533a9f7.jpg 640X422 px

jpg  (53.39 KB)
209_4a457dc663d02.jpg 640X520 px

Posted on: 2009/6/26 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
speed? since the speedo cable is broken i have no idea, but i got to 70 im sure, but not for long. steady cruising in the 60s and some quick accelerations once in direct.

My version of 'stretching out' may be a little less severe than some peoples.

i wish i knew who made that F'd up breather so i could give them a whoopin!

Posted on: 2009/6/26 21:05
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Thanks all for the great help!

My "breather" is a 90 degree pipe fitting screwed into the case where the breather should be, with a 4 inch length of mangled flare ended brake or fuel line attached.

and im definately ok with the idea of adding an extra tranny cooler! it only takes a few extra degrees to really mess things up quick.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 21:07
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
as im remembering things...

I checked the tranny fluid several times today and noted NO foaming or burning.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 21:12
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If the fluid is very thin due to heat then the rear pump will not be able to create enough pressure to cause the upshift into Direct. When my friend first rebuilt my tranny in 92 he didn't notice the back neck of the rear pump had two grooves worn into it. He checked the pump rotor and it was within tolerance, so he installed it. It would shift fine for the first 10 minutes or so and as soon as the fluid warmed up and thinned out, it would not upshift because the rear pump could not maintain proper pressure. We tore the tranny apart and discovered the bad rear pump. We installed another pump and it has worked fine since then. I've never had it over 105.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 22:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved