Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Windshield wipers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cable & switch stay. There is a screw on top of motor which holds the cable in a formed slot. It just lifts out when screw is removed. Take note of the position & locations of the wire exiting end of cable and small washer. It goes into another slot in a slide and has to be positioned so wire end pushes when knob turned but washer catches and pulls when knob turned opposite way.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Have you considered that maybe your fuel pump isn't creating enough vacuum? You could replace the vacuum diaphragm, and maybe the check valves if you can get the old ones out. Or have someone professionally rebuild your fuel pump. Then and Now will either sell you the parts for rebuilding or rebuild it for you.

http://www.then-now.com

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:19
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Just an FYI, that wiper motor that Kevin posted will fit all the way back to mid-'49. Newport Engineering also has one that fits the early '49 and back with the propeller drive. I plan on buying one of these soon for the '48, as I won't waste my time on a vacuum wiper setup. Been there, done that, and I like to have dependable wipers.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
maybe your fuel pump isn't creating enough vacuum?

Good thought but not quite applicable here although the same concept is. V8's relied mostly on manifold vacuum but thru a balancing valve, there is an auxiliary vacuum pump on bottom of oil pump, not fuel pump, that is supposed to take over or supplement when manifold vacuum low. If car has had one of the oil pump conversions to stop lifter noise, the vac pump was removed. Verify the pump is there and balance valve is working by comparing the two inputs. Manifold should be fairly strong at idle and aux pump --if there-- not so much. Make sure the balance valve is working by comparing the input and outputs.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Replaced the fuel pump, how much vacuum pressure should I look for at the (mixing valve) by the wiper motor?

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
how much vacuum
Manifold is normally 16 or more inches and balance valve out to motor should be same or maybe more if aux pump there. No idea how much just the aux pump provides.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Will compare as suggested, if the oil pump conversion was done that could explain the low vacuum, I never dropped the pan however did replace all of the lifters as several were collapsed, the engine is now quiet with good oil pressure. The only solution seems to install the electric motor, you posted a good pic, need some ordering information. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think a missing aux pump would explain (unless it is missing and no one plugged the hose) as normally the manifold does the work. If vacuum & hoses OK & the motor has never had a rebuild most likely a combination of old lube, dried rubber seals & the paddle felt has worn so there's air leaking inside.

I didn't post the electric pict but probably know where to obtain it or similar. Will let KevinAZ give the details on that particular one he posted.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Older car ('50), different engine, different auxiliary vacuum supply, slightly different wiper motor, but the same problem.

When I turn the wipers on they raise 1 1/2 inches and quit. The return park function works well... but then it only has to return 1 1/2 inches. I did all the recommended fixes that you tried but to no avail.

Removed the motor and checked the movement of the pulley assembly by hand... it moved just fine.

All new rubber connecting hoses are being used.

Vacuum at the motor measures 19" Hg at idle which should be plenty for it to work.

Bottom line: Motor is currently in the hands of Fed-X on its way to Ficken Wiper Service.

Will advise results when I get it back in a couple of weeks.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Your story is deja vu to me. I jacked with it until I became fed-up and sent it to Ficken. Everything was good after that.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 23:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved