Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 193

Don B, humanpotatohybrid, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Here's Ficken's information:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/mxdirectory/singlelink.php?cid=3&lid=216
http://www.wiperman.com/

Vacuum wiper motor rebuilding service.

1-2 week turnaround, 3 year warranty,

30+ Years experience. (Ask your friends/club members)

$99 plus $8 S&H (UPS Ground)

Posted on: 2009/6/29 23:47
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks, very reasonable price, I believe Kanter wants $ 159.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
One last try, replaced all the hoses, at idle the vacuum is 19hg, the wiper motor is boxed and on it's way to Ficken. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/6/30 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I've used Rowland's Antique Auto Parts with great results and good prices. $57.50 for post-war, $67.50 for pre-war + 12.50 return S&H. He did one for me last year and I had it back in a week.
509-829-5026

Posted on: 2009/6/30 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
My '56 Patrician has a late 50's Chevy electric wiper motor fitted and it is pretty much a direct swap. The existing dash switch and cable operates the replacement wiper motor on/off function and speed control without any problems, as long as the switch is lubricated every so often on the wiper motor. I made up another washer bottle that is almost identical in size to the original, and the original wires and wiper switch press button function activate it nicely. The only hassle is that the button needs continuous pressure for pumping, unlike the original system. Cheers, John

Attach file:

jpg  (120.20 KB)
237_4a4ddea8ce9aa.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/7/3 5:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Received the wiper motor back from Ficken this morning. Reinstalled it, cleaned the windshield and started the Packard. Turned on the windshield wipers and away they went, strong and quiet. I had forgotten that you can adjust the speed by increasing or decreasing the amount of vacuum via the knob. Not electronically intermittent, but somehow more impressive and fun since it's all mechanical (I have a soft spot in my heart for Rube Goldberg).

Happy Camper Here

Posted on: 2009/7/15 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Received the rebuilt wiper motor and my wipers work so well that I can't turn them off, slow them down but not completely off unless I open the hood and pull the wiper control cable just a touch. I have tried to tighten the cable several times but always the same. When they do stop they are not in the park position but I think that blades need to be removed and properly positioned (any suggestions on how to remove them). I fiddled with 31.4091 (washer synchronizer ?) but cannot make it pull enough to shut them off. Am I missing any adjustments? Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/17 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Suggest first step is remove blades per manual -- instrument section page 5, (pict 1). If they have not been off in awhile, they may be rather stiff and stuck. Don't force anything.

Remove the switch cable and co-ordinator and slide the plastic all the way to drivers side to off position and let the motor park (pict 2). The motor I have may be slightly different in the slide than yours.

If you don't have the Packard washer, I suggest just leaving the co-ordinator off for now. At any rate, get the wipers working properly before messing with it. I don't have one apart to photograph or would have included it but the cable connection with one installed is slightly different.

For now, install the cable per pict 3. Note the small recess where end of cable sits. Try the switch and see if all works properly. If it still does not want to turn off after being on, check the switch end of cable (pict 4) and make sure it is tightly crimped and not moving when knob turned.

When that is working properly, then install the co-ordinator per accessories section page 9 if you want to. Make sure the entire co-ordinator body (black cylinder) slides freely on the bracket when knob is turned. If you don't have the Packard washer, the co-ordinator is just along for the ride and does nothing --but it must slide when the knob is turned.

When all is working then install wiper blades so they are at edge of molding when motor parked.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.79 KB)
209_4a611b937b98c.jpg 380X612 px

jpg  (26.01 KB)
209_4a611b9fbb849.jpg 640X330 px

jpg  (25.49 KB)
209_4a611bae47ef4.jpg 640X388 px

jpg  (29.12 KB)
209_4a611bb937191.jpg 640X437 px

Posted on: 2009/7/17 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH As always thanks for the detailed info. Waiting for the motor to park may be one of my problems. Getting the motor working first is a good idea and I actually thought about it after a couple of hours of 100 degree temp in the garage. Ficken would only rebuild the motor and not the coordinator, I suppose that they go bad like everything else. Two adjustments are on the coordinator, one will shorten the shaft and the other is a small turn screw on the end, both seemed not to help when I fiddled. One thing that I noticed is that the control cable worked much smoother without the coordinator. Hope that you are not running out and tearing apart your car to get the great photos every time I have a question. Will try it in the AM.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting about the 2 screws on yours. Didn't your car have a different washer setup or am I thinking of someone else? I only see one screw in the plastic at end on mine. That is the air bleed which you adjust for the length of time the wipers will wipe after the water stops flowing. It controls the rate of air allowed into cylinder as spring pushes the piston back when washer cuts the vacuum off. Don't see anything to adjust the shaft length but haven't taken it apart and don't remember what is there exactly. As I recall, when you install the co-ordinator you pull the wire and washer out a bit against the spring and slide it into a notch? I think if that isn't in the proper location, it keeps the slide blocked and won't go all the way to park position.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 21:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved